Disabling SMB1 on Windows 10 No longer see networked systems

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bonesz, May 25, 2017.

1. bonesz

bonesz MDL Junior Member

Jun 30, 2013
    I have read that via several methods one should disable SMB1. I via the control panel >programs and features > turn Windows Features On/Off. I unchecked the SMB 1.0/CIFS FIle Sharing Support, rebooted and was then unable to see other computer on my network in the network tab in Explorer. I was able to connect via RDC and sshd but they don't show up ion network. is this by design or have I messed up? I am running Windows 10 1703 15063.296 fully updated, the othere systems on my network are 2 Windows server 2012 servers, and 2 poweredge 2900 running Debian 8.6 Jessie for media and backup servers.

Before unchecking I was able to see all under network, not now.

If not clear please ask me thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Forget to mention: SMB1 is about 30year old already and therefore should not be used on the newer system at all! If I remember right, even MS is warning about the use of it because users will use a lot of problems.

Before doing anything on a Network, the user should get the required knowledge first, before even thinking to alter his system by any means.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Alright, you disabled SMBv1. Now you need to enable SMBv2 and SMBv3.

To enable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
    Code:
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

5. Jari

Jari MDL Member

Jan 18, 2013
    SMB v1 or Server Message Block version 1 is a protocol used to provide access to shared folders, printers or other peripherals between the network.

Just curious, do you expect any problems with shared folders, printers or other peripherals in home network ?

6. bonesz

bonesz MDL Junior Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Thanks for the information, I reversed my actions and all is ok. I was basically trying to minimize my chances of getting hit with the latest ransomware that is out and about. I just found it weird that my network shares were still avaiable just not showing up in the network tab.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The Wannacry SMB exploit has been fixed by the march updates.