Disappearing Restore Points

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by trparky, Apr 17, 2016.

1. trparky

trparky MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2016
    I'm having an issue in which restore points keep disappearing. And by that it seems that any restore points that are older than 16 or so days get deleted by the system and I have no idea why. The RPLifeInterval setting in the registry is set properly and there's more than enough reserved space to store restore points. I remember having this issue on Windows 8.1 as well. Windows 7 kept restore points far longer than it seems that Windows 8.x and 10 keeps them.

How can I fix Microsoft's stupidity here? People should be able to keep as many restore points as they want, especially on a desktop where you're going to have far more storage space than a tablet would have.

2. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Many 3d party programs remove Restore Points, and some MS Programs do the same... I'd 1st check to see what programs your using that removes. such.
    I have No issue with Restore points and and with 8 systems of 8.1 and several versions of Windows 10.

3. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    some tweakers do that, do you use any ?

4. oneLess

oneLess MDL Junior Member

Aug 15, 2013
    if don't exist there will be a default value which will be followed

c

5. glennsamuel32

glennsamuel32 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2012
    How much disk space have you allotted for system restore ?
    As the amount of alloted space for system restore reduces, older backups are deleted...

6. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    Did you use any utilities to tune up your system such as Avg Tuneup? It may automatically remove old restore points.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. trparky

trparky MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2016
    I have 100 GBs assigned as restore point storage space. No, I don't use such utilities; I avoid them like the plague. Yes, that registry setting does exist.