Disappearing USB devices in Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xscess, Jan 19, 2014.

1. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
  2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Reinstall Chipset Drivers?

3. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Thanks for the reply. Thought of this but HP didn't have any chipset drivers for this dekstop for Windows 7/8.0/8.1. But now I've found it from Intel's site... 5520/x58 chipset drivers for Windows 7. Lets see how this goes.

4. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Install chipset drivers from intel website, and check for firmware updates from hp.

5. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Perhaps its the power management / selective suspension disconnecting usb stuff?

6. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    #6 lievre, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
    Why don't you try a program like, Advanced System Optimizer.
    Advanced System Optimizer is a system tweaking suite that includes more than 30 tools to improve and tweak your PC`s performance, to keep your system running smoothly, speedily, and error free. It offers an attractive and easy to use interface that organizes all tasks into categories and provides graphical statistics whenever possible. The tools include junk file cleaner, memory optimizer, system information, system files backup, file encryption, safe uninstaller, duplicate file finder, windows transparency manager and much more. Advanced System Optimizer also includes a small SMTP server for direct mail sending, an Internet tracks eraser with cookie manager and secure deletion, and even a desktop sticky notes application. Overall, a great bundle that offers a wide range of system tools, as well as some extras that are not commonly found.

But specially, Driver Updater (New) update out dated and required drivers.

Now i don't know if i can post this here, if not mod just remove the link and then write to me in private, i will give you the link.

Download from here.

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

It seemed that after installing the chipset drivers from Intel, the problem was gone but alas, it's back again. It didn't return for 8+ hours. Have restarted the PC many times. After every restart it will work right away. But just as I described earlier, it will work for any amount of single video or in case of audio, any amount of online radio... But the moment I stop radio or video viewing, sound device(USB headset) or TV tuner(again USB) will disappear.

Now I'm not even getting that "Event 219: Kenel-PnP" error in event viewer (as I described in original post).

Any ideas what to look for ??

HP do not have no drivers or firmware available on it's site. The drivers i installed were from Intel.

Since this is a desktop, it's set to never go to sleep/suspend/shut down ever.

HP do not have any drivers for chipset and i did reinstall from Intel (chipset manufacturer) already, so I don't understand where this program gonna get "new" drivers.

8. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I had the same issue with an AMD chipset based motherboard. My only solution was to plug my devices into the USB 3.0 ports. Problem solved.

9. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    In my case, the PC doesn't have any USB 3.0 ports.

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Can vouch for this too. I have 3 different AMD machines, and all have some power-saving shut off thing on the USB 2.0 ports for whatever reason (I disabled USB Suspend from Power Settings, but leave it to Windows to ignore its own setting). My Wacom tablet wouldn't work properly if it suspended until I hotplug it. No setting in BIOS helped the USB suspending problem, and the problem is only tied to 8.1 (don't recall it happening in 8; I know it doesn't happen in Linux nor Windows 7). Drivers don't help either.

The USB 3.0 ports work fine (don't suspend).

11. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I don't think this is a suspend issue, a hardware issue or driver issue. IMO, it is a Windows issue, which first appeared with Windows 8. I first noticed the issue when under heavy load, my USB wireless adapter would stop and take out every other USB device along with it. Thinking the wireless adapter was at fault, I purchased another (different hardware altogether). The issue remained. Since nothing ever appeared in Windows events, and the fact that there was never a BSOD, I was unable to diagnose the issue. I only was able to read similar anecdotes on the interwebs.

12. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Yep, it sounds disabling USB selective suspend in power settings didn't help. As the issue is back again, and no error in event viewer or no drivers issues in device manager either.

I'm running out of idea on where and what to look for :(

13. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    I have a problem like this as well. I am not back on Windows 7. As I suspected, Ive been building static electricity and sometimes that causes a temporary disturbance in my usb devices.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Helmutcheese

Helmutcheese MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    You need to stop the Balloon Sex. :w00t2:

15. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    my only fix was to replace my Sata drivers to stop my USB3 drives from sleeping and disconnecting constantly, they still do from time to time though. But indeed there is a disturbance in the fARCe with Win8.x and USB3 externals, not just HDD's but keyboard/mouse have issues too.

16. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    As i have described earlier, this desktop PC doesn't even have USB 3.0 ports...

17. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I understand, even so it has "helped" not cured some usb issues. My mistake was not sharing USB2 drives also have the issue, but far more rare than the usb3 - Keyboard/mouse although separate issue possibly - are usb2.

Cannot hurt to try if you haven't already, try new sata, no go.. roll back to previous its painless and quick test to see if it helps?

18. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I'm sorry but I didn't get what you saying here, could you elaborate please...

19. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #20 EFA11, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017