Disappointed by the censorship

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by dk2463, Sep 17, 2015.

1. dk2463

dk2463 MDL Senior Member

Jun 19, 2011
    So I've always loved this forum and it's people because of their willingness to help. But with the clash going on regarding these "rogue" builds it is upsetting.

This forum was founded on an amazing group that was supremely helpful and inquisitive and insightful. I'm seeing these overzealous people wanting to cut off any discourse outside of a few prescribed areas and it's really irritating.

I get the no linking to pirate builds etc. but we should be able to discuss them......and I guess I'm just waiting to see what happens with this 10537 conversation because it feels like a super huge First Amendment issue going on where talking about a publicly known item is being shut down....it's REALLY upsetting.

2. cruxq

cruxq MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2010
    First off, the server is hosted in Germany. There is NO first amendment rights.
    Second, if you really think it is that easy, start your own forums, and see how fast your ISP buckles and shuts you down.

It IS a fine line on what can and can't be posted, and I am sure they are doing the best they can under the circumstances.
    Cut them some slack.

3. winbond

winbond MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    first amendment right is not a piece of paper, it's a state of mind,
    and it's not something you will enjoy if you're not willing to defend it(as with any right you might think you have)

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @dk2463: Personally, I'm just happy to see MDL up and running. I've been witness to two DMCA shutdowns since I've been here. To be honest, I've made a lot of friends here. To lose contact with them because of pirated software or even conversations about pirated software would be a horrible tragedy to me.

Bite the bullet, make some friends here, and all will become clear to you. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    There is a major build of Windows 10 out there. I am using it. No one is discussing it. There was a thread for it, but it was taken down. I think it very strange. This isn't the only forum in the world, and other forums ARE discussing it. Why not here? I am just questioning, that is all. Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Maybe some of it is the eyes that are on MDL, and DMCA take downs have to be taken seriously or the site goes completely away. Other forums might be under the radar or non-existent to DMCA. Id suggest to them, if they are lucky to be under the radar, keep it that way.

If there is other reasons for thread removal, I put my faith in the admins/mods to decide.

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    The primary problem is that USA was founded on the principal of freedom for all and that is now being eroded away by lunatics who have chosen to sacrifice freedom for supposed security and kickbacks from corporations ! So the fault is not MDL but the people who are sitting on their brains and allowing all this nonsense to happen.

8. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    i agree more on the kick backs more than anything else money talks BS walks.

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Love this forum and I totaly see that times have changed the past few years ! Very understandeble but I like to see it different not so much censorship on "pirated" leaked builds etc.

We will see what the future will bring let's hope for the best ! :tea:

10. raiden89

raiden89 MDL Junior Member

Mar 4, 2009
    I think its easier to just close the thread than have the mods micro-manage it to make sure people don't try and post links to homebrews and other pirated material. Discussion threads can get huge fast and if I was a mod, I would HATE to have to read through every page to make sure people aren't posting stuff they're not supposed to. So the easy way is to just close the thread. Stop it before it starts.

11. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Censorship, :laie::laie::laie: Just because posts about builds that haven't been leaked as insider but only as partner builds have been removed and now the place is censored. :roflmao:

People can go to a certain site :rolleyes: get a copy of windows, and then get it running as gen, and we have people saying that place :rolleyes: is censored. :rofl6:

HELP !! my post about how to blow up the earth was removed, I hate being censored. :wallhead: :laie:

People talking about rights on a private website, :roll1:

12. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I vote for censor the smylies in your post ;)

13. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @odie: Looks like smiley overload. :rofl:

14. everesee

everesee MDL Senior Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Can't we discuss build 10537 without publishing download links in MDL?

15. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014

No because then the beggars come out of the woodwork and things go crazy.

16. dk2463

dk2463 MDL Senior Member

Jun 19, 2011
    There is nothing stopping someone from starting a thread called "kittens playing with yarn" and then posting all sorts of links that are not allowed. Mods are here to review and ensure compliance. My point is that simple discussion about a known and clearly "in use" build being shut down is pretty heavy handed.

17. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Made you look HAHA, :p

18. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Rights? This is a privately owned forum. You have no rights. You have privileges and those privileges are whatever the staff decides we all have. Be thankful you have them.

If you want rights start your own forum. Pay with it with your own money. Manage it with your own time. But even then your members will have only the privileges you allow them to have.

19. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    From my honest point of view, even mention Windows 10 build 10537, this thread really wasn't opened as an Windows 10 thread, it were opn for to complain and discuss about actions of the Forum Staff! Thedrefore, this thread has to be in an different forum, like Beautiful Life/Serious.....! Simply this whole thread should be moved there!

And the Forum Staff should handle that in a manner of Demogarcy and Freedom of Speech!

Here at the Windows 10 Forum/Thread, it will just stir into accusations and so on, but as an Windows 10 discussion!

20. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    "Disappointed by the censorship"

You are addressing the wrong people. Try it @markmonitor....

The announcement about MDL policy change has been made months ago. And it worked very well. Since then only one more DMCA complaint received MDL.
    And home brew ISOs weren't allowed before already....

We've enough experiences to decide what we'll let be posted. To post leaked w10 builds has no priority.