Discovered a bug in Windows 8.1 Pro!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Feb 27, 2014.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    #1 ian82, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    A while back, I had posted that I was no longer able to see the Minimum Processor State in Windows 8.1

After much fiddling around, it was suggested here that I format again.

A long time has passed since then, yesterday, I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro GA

Usually, when I check the task manager / Performance tab, my CPU speed is @ 3.27 GHz. on average since I am on the high performance power plan

Later, I enabled Hyper-V from the Program & Features then restarted, I checked the performance tab again, and the speed has dropped down to 2.4 GHz....

I thought...what the heck, let me re-check my Min/Max CPU speed in the power plan, I went there, and to my surprise it has disappeared!! not only has it disappeared, but it does something to the actual min/max CPU speed that dropped down my CPU speed by like 25%

I then went ahead and disabled Hyper-V again from the Programs & Features and guess what?

Upon checking the performance tab of the Task Manager, the CPU speed is back to its usual 3.27 GHz. and the Min/Max CPU Utilization in the Advanced power options is back!

Strange how noone noticed this, and Microsoft hasn't fixed it with all its updates!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    I suspect it might because of Hype-v allocated some CPU power from physical CPU? Not sure..
    Or, did you overclock? Untitled-1.png

3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    it's a laptop man, and I don't overclock ever

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    If Hyper-V is utilizing all four cores, you will never see anything greater than 2.4GHz, period. Remember, those higher speeds are only available for single or dual core apps. The speed step feature allows unused cores to be shutdown, so the speed increase to the running cores won't exceed the thermal limits of the CPU.

That would explain your "Strange how no one noticed this, and Microsoft hasn't fixed it with all its updates!" comment. With all due respect, it isn't Microsoft's problem if someone doesn't understand the speed step feature.

5. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #6 bk109, Feb 27, 2014
    Just like to point out a slight mistake inacuracy in your description of how dynamic overclocking works on this Intel - nowadays it's not called SpeedStep as it was rebranded as Intel Turbo Boost around the time of the first Nehalems;)

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #7 MrMagic, Feb 27, 2014
    That makes no sense whatsoever

Single or DualCore app? There is no such thing.

Single threaded apps, yea, core, no. And Id like you to show me a program that is limited to 1 thread other than a benchmark that you manually limit to 1 thread

Are you seriously saying you can not use turbo/OC clock speeds (Laughing cant type) if the program is using all CPU cores? Get a clue buddy

And just because an app is single/multi threaded, does not prevent the CPU from ramping up to it's turbo/OC clock speed

Thermal limits of the running cores? wtf are you smoking? CPU will throttle clock speeds/vcore if it reaches its max safe temp regardless of how many cores are being used at the time

Intel SpeedStep is the same as AMDs C&Q, CPU will clock down in relation to CPU load, a quick Google would have shown you that

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk.

7. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012