DISCUSSION - ("Cold") disk imaging

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, Feb 25, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    If you set the program to do an exact backup sector by sector and then restore the same way, then you won't have that problem. In addition, if you are backing up your Windows partition, do it from the DVD so that Windows is off-line and none of the files are in use.

2. =)(=

=)(= Guest

Sector by sector will make the image file big and he/she is already running AOMEI from WinPE so no files from the Windows install should be in use.

BTW! IFW is really portable, imagew.exe and imagew.ini is all needed to run it on Win8.1SE :biggrin:

3. CEW

CEW MDL Senior Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I think you will need to add the mount driver for IFW if you want to do mount from winpe.

Paragon will be fine portable, you need to make sure you have qtp-mt334.dll, wnaspi32.dll, prgiso.dll. Newer versions also need msvcr100.dll and msvcp100.dll.
    Depending which paragon you have, some of those will in the paragon "program" folder, and some in your installed system32. Make sure they are all in the "program" folder and off it goes.

It won't mount in pe - long standing paragon peculiarity as it sees the Minint key and refuse to mount. However, you should be able use volume explorer to get individual files out of paragom .pbf images. Not sure if you can do that with the new experimental. pvhd format.

4. DJxSpeedy

DJxSpeedy MDL Senior Member

Jan 7, 2008
  5. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    I like Active Disk Image and AOMEI, however both do not fully support UEFI/secure boot yet. So I'll temporarily put them on my waiting list of imaging apps until then fully support my system. Currently I have Acronis, IFW, Drive Snapshot as my main disk imaging apps. It looks like Drive Snapshot v1.43 vastly improved in terms of speed and compression as compared to previous versions - on par with IFW. Looks like I'll keep these 3 for a while..

6. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Correct! The problem with AOMEI is not because of Windows being running, since I started the backup/restore from within a Windows 8.1SE/PE.
    Anyway AOMEI is out of my main imaging apps for now.

7. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    WOW... I am really impressed.
    wondering where could we obtain these scripts? I am particularly interested in knowing where to get the script for Win8DaRT 8.1... Please let me know..

8. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Dear Atari800xl,

I searched in TheOven but could not find the script for MS DaRT 8.1.. If you come across it, please let me know where to find it. Seems like a great tool set to put on my Win8.1SE.

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  10. =)(=

=)(= Guest

Haven't imaged anything with it yet but noticed that you can not select whole HDD, you have to select partitions which you want to backup, hopefully it will image all selected partitions to one file and not create one file for each partition.

11. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    I haven't actually used it for any specific task yet, but I can envision when my computer is non-bootable (since Win8.1SE itself does not support reset/refresh a Windows 8.1 computer yet), or I am locked out of my computer due to a lost password, then I can fire up DaRT 8.1 and do the diagnosis and repair work.

12. =)(=

=)(= Guest

It does when you select "PE in Ram" as build type!?!?!?

13. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    oh you are right...I used the default build type of Win8.1 as an mini OS in ram, hoping for better compatibility in adding more programs etc.. Not sure if this is true or not..

14. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Exactly... this is the only tiny drawback I can see for Drive Snapshot v1.43. If the author can add the ability to image multiple partitions including the partition layout, that would make DS one of the best 3 imaging apps for me..

15. =)(=

=)(= Guest