[DISCUSSION] Best VPN's for torrenting use

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Mr.X, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #1 Mr.X, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    #2 Palladin, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017

Attached Files:

3. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    NordVPN for me. Only about $3.33 per month paid yearly. Lots of servers, pretty good speeds, few disconnects. Client has a built in kill switch. P2P friendly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Ah! Something I completely forgot: please mention if they have their desktop utility in portable version too.

5. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    I've narrowed my search for a new VPN to potentially replace PIA, and Nord, and Express VPN always seem to show up at the top of the ratings.

6. cetipabo2

cetipabo2 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Hello,
    With PIA (private internet access) you'll notice that your ratio is not counted on most of private trackers :p

7. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    I agree something is very wrong with PIA lately.
    I got a notice that my subscription was due to expire in 7 days.
    I'm not going to renew it. I'll give Nord a try and see how that works.

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

My bad luck is that my subscription expired and goit renewed precisely on the day when the problems started at the end of May... They still simply do not answer support requests.

NordVPN sounds indeed best so far, but only practiacl expertience will show. Please keep us up to date.

9. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I have been using PIA for a few months as I still wanted to use Torrents. Only real problem was the other day, after a Windows 10 Pro Update, and could not send emails with Outlook 2016. Google Gmail worked OK. Problem resolved itself after a few hours.

Only thing to watch is cannot Use EBAY, or some Bank sites with PIA running. My Bank is very annoying, allows every stage of a payment transaction until the very end, and fails with no explanation. Amazon and Aliexpress no problems.

10. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I'll add one more thing about NordVPN. Their customer service is very responsive. You can chat live or send them an email. Either way, someone will address your issue very quickly. I'm probably their worst nightmare. ;) I send them lots of suggestions for improvement to the client - and some complaints, too - they are always polite and have incorporated a couple of my suggestions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

That is exactly the way PIA used to handle things... until three weeks ago...

12. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Was the company bought by another? Or maybe they laid people off because of low revenue.

13. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    Well, that sucks. Guess I was just lucky.

I'm going to sign up for 1 month of NordVPN to check it out.
    If it works OK, then I'll just cancel the monthly program and take advantage of any upgrade that they make available.

I'll report back with my findings, one way or the other.

14. lucid

lucid MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Do a search for the 2 year deal for Nord and if you pay up front you get a better deal. They have apps for most platforms or you can use Open VPN and download all their config files and select 50 of your choice. If you use the open VPN client the speeds are much better. I'd say on average about 60-65% of your normal full download speed with open VPN using Nord on a PC. Slower if you use their own client. You can use your account on 6 devices or as many as you want if set up through a compatible router. they don't keep logs. I can't comment on how it affects torrent as I don't use that. But their customer service is very good taking as much time as you need to help you set it up or fix any issues. They have their own DNS you'll need to set up and use a web rtc plugin for browser leaks etc

15. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
  16. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Here are their DNS servers, but you can also use your own instead.

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 78.46.223.24

17. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Thanks, I just found them too. Well, there is a price to use them instead of your local DNS servers (usually your local DNS servers are the fastest ones).

18. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Express VPN is still my VPN of choice. Not only do they support just about everything (Windows, Apple, Linux, iPhone, Andriod, Router, web browser), they're also super fast and are one of the few VPN providers who continue to work with Netflix. I love watching Netflix Canada a lot more than I do Netflix America. Torrent downloads are comparable to the same speeds had I not been using a VPN, which is something that I find impressive.

Windscribe VPN is my second choice, thanks to @whizkidraj recent giveaway. They do not support as many options and sadly, Netflix has them blocked at every level, but for torrents, I cannot complain. They also offer a free limited plan for those looking to try it out or those in the need of something quick. But nevertheless, they do make for an OK alternative.

19. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015