[Discussion] KDE Neon: Linux or Non Linux Distro?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by kumaramy, Mar 30, 2019.

1. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Hello.
    I am excited to use KDE Neon but got little bit confused if it is Linux Distro or not.
    I would only like to use it if it is Linux Distro. And secondly, if it is Linux, then is it based on Ubuntu?

Thanks.

2. Johnny Classic

Johnny Classic MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2019
    I hope this helps :).

-------------------------
    Source: Wikipedia
    -------------------------
    KDE neon is a set of software repositories for Ubuntu long-term support (LTS) releases with latest 64-bit version of KDE desktop and applications. It is also the name given to a Ubuntu LTS-based Linux distribution that utilizes said repositories. It aims to provide the users with rapidly updated Qt and KDE software, while updating the rest of the OS components from the Ubuntu repositories at the normal pace. It comes in user and developer editions.

The KDE neon Linux distribution is focused on the development of KDE. The emphasis is on bleeding edge software packages sourced directly from KDE and offers programmers early access to new features, but potentially at the cost of greater susceptibility to software bugs.

KDE neon announced in January 2017 that the distribution switching its installer from Ubiquity to Calamares due to Ubiquity "not having some features".

In February 2018, KDE neon developers removed the LTS Editions from the downloads page, but kept these editions in the download mirrors because of "lots of people asking which edition to use and what the difference is."

In May 2018, KDE started changing KDE neon from being based on Ubuntu 16.04 to Ubuntu 18.04.[16] KDE neon preview images, based on Ubuntu 18.04, became available in August 2018.