[DISCUSSION] MP3 Players for Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by Sklipnott, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Sklipnott

Sklipnott MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2015
    Want to know what mp3 player is recommended or best for my smartphone (Android 7.0)
    Or does it have a good one already out of the box?

I want it to play seamlessly and continuously all my mp3 files through folders and sub folders.

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #2 Hadron-Curious, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Beats app is very good for playing mp3 files. You would have to get the premium to get full features. I think Google Play Music is the best for mp3 follow by VLC.

3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Atasas

Atasas MDL Junior Member

May 4, 2010
    Unilaterally foobar for android

5. fxynot

fxynot MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2017
    musixmatch :)

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    @Yen

That is a good Android audio music player! I am going to recommend it to a friend who has audio files which are different from mp3. Despite saying that I wouldn't want to spend my money buying it and at the same time paying for expensive headphones to match when I am only going to be using it for mp3 files.

From my little understanding it's hard to differentiate quality mp3 files with high bitrates from DAC/UAPP on any good headphone - I am not going to be connecting it to any aux gadgets, like amp, external speakers,etc and I would just use VLC to do that.

8. harvest

harvest MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2018
    PlayerPro is very good for me.
    you can try trial version first.

9. Sklipnott

Sklipnott MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2015
    Trying this out. Like it a lot so far.

10. machao_mengqi

machao_mengqi MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2017
    Please use Power AMP bro :) I've use it and very satisfied. Full version very cheap.

11. secgeek

secgeek MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2018
    Definitely Poweramp leads when it comes to audio players on Android.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #12 Yen, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    The major reason why I got UAPP was my external DAC / headphone amp. (ifi micro iDSD Black Label).
    Later then UAPP got also hires driver support for the internal DAC of my Samsung Galaxy S6 edge.

If you don't use external solutions and your internal DAC is not supported by UAPP then you can use another preferred player. Actually, the costs of UAPP (less than 10 bucks) can be no matter when one has already paid a lot for good headphones for instance. This was my idea at least, lol.

There is a trial version as well.

Listening to music on my phone is important to me. I took the efforts to modify my phone in order to run viper4android without any interferences of built-in DSP features.

If I do not use my external DAC I use UAPP just to play bit perfect through its own hires driver to send original bit perfect stream to viper4android. Only there I manipulate the sound. The job of UAPP is to deliver a bit perfect stream, nothing more. It can do that.

I tried a lot. The own sound manipulating options of ALL players I tried cannot keep pace with viper4android IMHO.
    I actually play mostly good mp3's as well...

I modified audio_effects.conf to redirect to viper audio lib. I removed links to Samsung's own sound manipulating libs there, removed the DSP apps such as sound alive and adapt sound and I modified the mixer_paths.xml to gain more volume.

I realized that as own Magisk modules. The ones from the repo are not specially made for Samsung devices.

I know everybody prefers something own when it comes to good sound. But with this combination you have most of great options to adjust it to your needs.

If you want a free solution pick a free player...switch off any sound manipulating features there, if possible use bit perfect mode....and try to get viper4android installed. The original one, no mods.

You'll be amazed. It's free also.

Whenever I get a new phone I'll stick to my S6, though. Just playing music with that configuration. :)

13. SnoopDoggy

SnoopDoggy MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2018
    I like to use AIMP player. Actually I can't realy understand, what are you talking))) but I can say, that this player is the most practical. And it realy sounds great!

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Lol, but you could hear it......:):D.
    Nothing wrong with your player. It might be even better together with viper4android....that's the essence of my post.

The annoying thing with viper4android is that it requires 'root', better said it has got an own lib which has to be in /system/lib/soundfx....and it needs an own SE policy.....(in order to run in SE Android enforcing mode)....

15. Raur

Raur MDL Member

Oct 11, 2017
    You can try BlackPlayer EX. It has a free standard version but not ad-free. Have frequent updates which is good for me.

16. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Kodi is cool, can Play VOB and BluRay format..

17. MadEarther

MadEarther MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2018
    Use -- BlackPlayer -- first and last option for listing music and customizing app.

18. HaggisIV

HaggisIV MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2018
    If you have pretty simple needs I would recommend vanilla music (can be found from fdroid or google play).
    It's quite small in size and is really just a barebones music player. It tries to stay out of your way for the most part which I always appreciate in the age of bloated, overly invasive software.

19. billgates-suck

billgates-suck MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2010
    How can you make UAPP worked with Viper? AFAIK it doesn't support external equalizer.