[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    First time I was able to install v12 after upgrade removed v12. I opened _TestRights.cmd as admin, then pasted in location of uninstall.bat from v8. I did not reboot, I just went ahead, and installed v12. Success!!! Life is good!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mwpeterson

mwpeterson MDL Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Since I have seen that people using the insider builds were having trouble getting WMC to detect their HDHomerun Prime, I thought I would give a try on my old 32 bit machine.

I couldn't get v12 to install with build 14342, dism errors, but after it was updated to build 14352 last night, I was able to install v12.

Unfortunately, I can't get it to detect the Prime. I get a "The TV Signal cannot be configured because a tv tuner cannot be detected.

HDHomerun View works, Windows sees the tuners, ehprivjob /ocurdiscovery see the tuners. I have tried the usual fixes, uninstalling and reinstalling the Prime, putting the machine to sleep and waking it, and in HDHomerun Prime setup setting BDA to WMC, changing source to disabled and then back to Cablecard, and repairing Windows components. Nothing has helped. Any other ideas?

3. scrambler3

scrambler3 MDL Junior Member

May 22, 2016
  4. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    So the slave w10 box decides to update itself to 1511 without so much as a slight warning seeing as it's set to defer upgrades and just goes ahead wanting to schedule a restart for some "updates", takes a suspiciously long time and I'm like, oh no, it's going to apply 1511 to itself and I want it to record stuff tomorrow morning and grrr...

After the laptop was foolishly granted permission to update itself to 1511 by me a while ago and finding v12 was not installing on it I figured I'd hit the boards and see what others had done since then and the advice was to use v11. Fairly sure I'd used v8 before and found it didn't nicely pick up settings and recording schedules and so I didn't really want to repeat that (fix there was the use backup batch file on the other box and move them to the laptop thus allowing it to pick up EPG data that appears to be the achilles heel of every version before v12). So tracked down a v11 installer and it went down like a charm. Probably going to have trouble firing off recoding processes tomorrow like v8 did so prophylactically added the network service to the administrators group but looks like v11 gets the nod from here on.

5. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
  6. scrambler3

May 22, 2016
    Thank you for the feedback.

- For the remote, I'll check around at the green button, but for now, my solution works, so no biggie.

- For the event viewer errors, time will tell if these are consequential.
    Hopefully they are old tasks left behind, and they wont stop the new ones from working.
    I have a similar error on Microsoft antimalware, I think because with windows 10 it now use defender instead of the previous security essentials and old task for it may still be active.

- Playready / codecs, I am tempted to wait until problem arise. When exactly would a problem show up if Playready is not installed. Will it be when attempting to playback recorded protected content?

Thanks again

7. scrambler3

May 22, 2016
    #4727 scrambler3, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Cleanest combination of utilities for audio/video/subtitle formats in W10 MC

Ok, may be someone can help clarify a few things.
    When I originally setup WMV 7 several years ago, it took me a while to get all the audio/ video / subtitle stuff to work.

What I have installed right now (what I was using in W7) are
    AC3 filter (1.63b)
    DirectVOBSub 2.41.5626 both 32 and 64bits
    Haali media Splitter
    Local Subtitles for 64 bit WMP (I believe this was only for WMP not WMC)

Now in W10, with the recently installed v12, I was having a problem with srt subtitles not showing on any format.

EDIT: I found out about using the Codec Tweak tool to deactivate Media foundation on the formats (mp4 and Mkv in my case) and subtitles are back

But can someone shed some light on what is the best/cleanest combination of utilities to use for W10 MC, in order to play all formats and load local srt subtitles (ideally without a codec pack). Can I get rid of some of the stuff above (no longer needed with W10 and v12 WMC) ?

8. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #4728 crash2009, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
    PlayReady problems would show up if you were playing "DRM Protected" Live or Recorded content.

Nice write-up BTW. I will definitely bookmark that one.

9. Shark007

Shark007 MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
  10. scrambler3

May 22, 2016
    Thanks and happy you think the write up is of some use :)

I am adding EDITS in the original post as I find necessary tweaks, so that it will BECOME one place for as many of the basic issues as possible.

11. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    It's great you took the spyware out of your codecs, I never recommended them to anyone when they had all the spyware in the installer even though they were the best codecs.

12. scrambler3

May 22, 2016
    #4733 scrambler3, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    First warning has not reappeared yet

Regarding mcupdate warning, I found out that there is also an error
    Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.)

But Looking at the details of the mcupdate execution, it loooks like everything works except that part.

Doing some research I found people mentioning this is related to some discontinued service. So I booted on the windows 7 drive, and checked there, and sure enough, the same error is on the windows 7 installation.

I don't know if there is a way to make WMC not check for that obsolete component (if indeed it is), but it looks like I should be able to ignore it.[/I]

13. rauscherdigital

rauscherdigital MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2016
    Gareth, thanks for the great post. I'm working my way through it and can no longer find Mcx2Prov.zip, NTRights.zip and the tweaked install.bat files mentioned. Does anyone have links that are live?

14. ImCoKeMaN

ImCoKeMaN MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    Have you tried the search this thread feature?

I can't post links yet but page 398 post 3978 has a quote from the first to get xbox extenders working (meluvalli) that has links and some other info

15. Nobber

Nobber MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2015
    Windows 10 Media Center with Emby keeps locking up

Hello I have installed the latest patch v12 to install media center in windows 10, I am using Emby and quite often Emby(Neo Theme, with Media player Classic as my external player) locks up after playing a movie Media player classic closes and goes back to Emby but when I click return or next\previous the system locks and only responds to a reboot, has anyone else experienced this if so is there a work around, thanks

16. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #4737 lobo11, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. ThoseEyes

ThoseEyes MDL Novice

May 30, 2016
    #4738 ThoseEyes, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    WMC on Win10

Last week I updated my Win7 desktop to Win10. I installed WMC without difficulty. But I have a snafu in the setup which I haven't seen addressed anywhere.
    It sees the tuner card, but isn't showing a list of service providers.
    That means no guide data and only the ability to record manually, like with a vcr.
    I can watch live television from the limited list it downloaded (24 channels), and I can watch that which had been previously recorded.

=======================================

Multiple scans later, I now have what are probably all of the channels I'll get, but still no mention of who my signal provider is, and no guide info. I'm sort of hoping that the issue at this point is with Rovi since I'm quite aware of the intermittent issues with them.

18. jmsnyc

jmsnyc MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2015
    #4739 jmsnyc, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    I finally got v12 to work after uninstalling v11 via v8 uninstaller prior to updating Windows to latest insider build. The update removes Media Center anyway at least versions <v12. After upgrade to W10 Ed Build 14352 ran the v12 installer as usual and it finally worked! Life is good :cool:

Just ordered the Hauppauge XBox USB tuner for $40 slickdeal for another pc. Probably should just get HDHR

19. Zhao

Zhao MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2011
    Whenever I open WMC by using my MCE Pilot(Videomate e800f) or Wmc try to update guide listings I have to confirm every time that I want to run it Because of WHQL pop-up aka "C:\Windows\eHome\EhTray.exe has no WHQL bla bla publisher unknown are u sure that u want to run it? it's extremely annoying coz I cant use my tuner smoothly.. What Can I do about it? (I did use test rights before install process)