[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

No there isn't an x86 version. The request/effort ratio was not favorable.

2. Ken520

Ken520 MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2016
    Another Anniversary Update victim here. :sad:

This was a clean Win 10 Home 64-bit install, that had been successfully running WMC 6.3.9600.16384_x64_v9.7z (I think that's v8.6, right?).

I read as many posts as I could find here on the 1607 update, and bravely attempted what I thought was the correct course: I re-installed the above WMC. The installation (DISM) claimed to have failed, but WMC is back in the eHome folder, so I thought maybe it worked. However, clicking on ehshell brings up an error message that someone else reported in this thread (page 180), but there was never a reply:

'Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy'

As this is Win 10 Home, there is no group policy editor, so I don't know how to get around this. I guess my next step would be to uninstall everything and try again, but I was really hoping I wouldn't have to reconfigure WMC (I have about 20 shows programmed, not to mention all those channel setups). Anything I can try short of starting over?

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #7223 T-S, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Lately looks like I'm on candid camera.

Why in the hell something called V9 should be the v8.6? :g:

Use the v8.8.1 uninstaller, then either install the v8.8.1 or the V12

You don't need the GPE.

There is a nice script called backup restore settings, any guess about it's function?:D

4. Ken520

Ken520 MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2016
    I was wondering the exact same thing. :biggrin: But that was my best guess after reading all these posts. Stupid, eh? So I had been running v9.7 all this time. Huh.

Glad to hear it's just user error. Is there any reason to prefer one (v8.8.1 or V12.7) over the other?

I've seen the nice script called backup restore settings. But as there's never been any mention of it that I can find in the readmes, I've been reluctant to trust it. I will run it and see what happens.

Thank you!

Ken

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Not exactly. 7z is the file format. There isn't any 9.7 installer.

6. Ken520

Ken520 MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2016
    OMG! :rofl6: Can't even read what I wrote; I didn't realize the '.7z' was the extension. (Can you tell, I don't use 7-zip much?) DUH.

Anyway, I ran the v8.8.1 uninstaller, rebooted, then installed V12. Guess what? Sort of the opposite: The DISM installation was reported as having successfully completed, however this time there is no ehshell.exe in the ehome folder. I tried the 4 .exes that are present, in case v12 is so different it didn't have an ehshell.exe, but none of them worked. (ehrecvr was the only one that did anything noticeable -- popped up an error message saying it couldn't start because ehTrace.dll is missing.)

So what incredibly idiotic thing have I done this time? :confused:

7. rockymount1

rockymount1 MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2015

I'm following your thread with T-S (who made the 8.8.1 version) very closely since I've had the same problem. I never got it fixed. I had to revert back to pre-Anniversary addition and then a whole different problem started. However, I now have 8.8.1 working with DRM channels and everything is good. I've turned off Windows Update (in the services) so I don't get any updates. But I'll be watching (actually reading) your back and forth with T-S.

T-S, Hope you don't mind if I just read along since I've been confused if anyone ever got WMC running on an Anniversary updated machine.

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

One of the main purposes of 8.8.1 is to the users who faces odd behaviors with v12. If you aren't able to install properly the V12 just stay with 8.8.1, it always work.

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Everyone is using WMC on anniversary (and server 2016), except the cable card users in the US.

10. Ken520

Ken520 MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2016
    Well, then, a huge THANK YOU for creating 8.8.1!

I tried removing and reinstalling v12 a few times before you posted this, and despite reboots between removal & install (twice in one case, just in case), the v12 install now keeps giving me an error during installation. (I copied the error code, but then rebooted so I lost it!)

So now I just tried 8.8.1, and it seems to have installed perfectly, even creating a desktop icon (first time I've ever seen that). Before actually running it, though, I wanted to ask you about restoring my backup:

Should I just run the backup and restore utility?
    Or should I also "run" the saved off .reg file, restoring my registry entries?

Thanks, T-S, very much.

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Just launch it. If a backup is present it will ask to restore, otherwise it will do a backup (a backup is made by a .reg file and a folder, just delete or move them to take a new backup)

12. tidetx

tidetx MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2016
    Lost WMC due to anniversary update. Tried installing 8.8.1 but keeping getting an error.
    Here are my steps...
    I started out with an uninstall to clean up any remnants. Next I rebooted. Then I installed 8.8.1.
    It seems to install correctly, and then I complete the setup in WMC. However, if I go to launch a live channel or play a recorded show, it crashes. The error message that I continually get is "Windows Media Center has stopped working"
    What am I doing wrong?

13. rockymount1

rockymount1 MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2015
    Thanks for clearing that up. I'm one of the Cable Card US users.

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #7234 T-S, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

Replace \windows\system32\msmpeg2vdec.dll with the one taken from 10586 or 10240 (or rename it as .old and use the LAV filters)

15. Ken520

Ken520 MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2016
    Ah, I had noticed the folder, but I thought the .reg file was the one I had made manually. Turned out I stuck that one on my desktop. Nice utility! I'm not sure it did work, as I had to reconfigure everything anyway. Oh, well. That's ok, the important thing is it does appear to be working. That's all I care about. 30 or 60 more minutes configuring is nothing compared to the frustration of not having a working WMC.

I'm running recording tests now. So far I know it has woken up, recorded, and gone back to sleep. I've got 2 more shows scheduled, then I'll look and make sure everything recorded correctly. But I'm 99% sure I'm good to go. Pretty much all thanks to you, T-S. :clap: I really appreciate your help.

16. tidetx

tidetx MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2016
    Thank you - that worked. I renamed the current file to .old and copied an older version (not sure which version) and I can view live tv and recorded tv again.

17. Ark :D

Ark :D MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2015
    Has there been any indication on what the Anniversary Update did to damage CableCard support in WMC (and thus, if a fix is even possible)? I own a Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe and run NextPVR with four Kodi clients, and it works pretty well, but it's not perfect.

Btw, thanks for all you do T-S, we all appreciate your efforts.

18. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    MS removed the WMDRM support altogether from anniversary, and I already fixed that, but there is still something missing on CC tuner detection as well, which is anything but easy to fix especially living outside the US, like me.

19. jeff2012

jeff2012 MDL Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kind of off topic but what happens if and when Microsoft discontinues program guide data for WMC.

Would this be the end or might a workaround be created?

Thanks!

20. mwpeterson

mwpeterson MDL Member

Sep 7, 2015
    An alternative already exists, epg123 & Schedules Direct.