[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Mkwiggy

Mkwiggy MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2017
    I got it to work through a fluke thing. Typed in CMD in the search and there were several commands from the 8.8.1 folder listed. clicked on them in the same order and it uninstalled and installed successfully. The only issue I have now is the guide loads, but I can't search for TV recordings by "Keyword" without getting an error saying search results my be incomplete because the guide listings are still being indexed.
    I also have to change resolution to 1920 x 1080 from my 4k laptop for WMC to load and be able to navigate it.

2. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015

It works on 15063.786 (1703) but not on 16299.125 (1709). I'm trying to pin down when and why it stopped working by comparing files and registry entries.

So far, I've discovered that there were a lot of changes made to the hid handler mechanism but haven't tried reverting them yet.

Watching system activity while pressing the green button, it looks like explorer starts ehtray by searching for it.

3. stephr1

stephr1 MDL Junior Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Hi all,

Welcome to the new year and may all your software issues melt away like butter :)

Just wanted to chime in here since my system recently upgraded to V1709 (skipped 1703 since that kept screwing up my start menu...as in dumping even MS app icons :( I, too, lost WMC and wondered if the Win 10 upgrade was the issue. Nice to know it wasn't something I did (directly, anyways). I originally had installed "WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0v2.1.rar" onto my system and that was the one that got snuffed (along with the DNLA server it provided). I just found "WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12.7z" and downloaded it from mega.nz (can I post a url in here? If not, apologies) and installed it. Seems to come up and work fine. Caveat on this is that I have an OSMC/RPI 3-based HTPC so I haven't, and prob'ly won't, verify much of the HTPC part of WMC, only the DNLA server and music capabilities parts. I may also use it to watch movies/TV shows that I access from my HTPC (desktop is upstairs, HTPC downstairs).

However, if I do run into something, I will certainly be back here.

Cheers.....

4. CZ Eddie

CZ Eddie MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2016
    Does anyone have the Win7 RDP patch they can send me, please?

5. mastha

mastha MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2017
    After update I lost my WMC icon, and after reinstaling WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12.7 it's still not there.
    Any way to fix it?

6. digital john

digital john MDL Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    you coud try to remove the map it self..and try again

7. mastha

mastha MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2017
    Which map? And how?
    Sorry, I'm a noob :)

8. digital john

digital john MDL Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    the ehome? c:\windows\ehome

9. mastha

mastha MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2017
    Yeah, that was that. It's working now!
    Thank you @digital john <3

10. Gareth North

Gareth North MDL Junior Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Hi All,

Long time Media Center / Windows 10 user been a while since i last checked in to see how those on the bleeding edge are doing.
    I last updated and tinkered with windows 10 / Media Center about a year or so ago and its been running perfect. All the time I've been holding windows at 1607 14393.1358 version for so long using this old trick:-

"Via Group Policy Disabled Windows Updates by going into GPEDIT.MSC Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\Configure Automatic Updates set to Disabled."

This has allowed me to block windows 10 updating without turning off windows update service or windows installer service. I wanted to start a fresh from my baseline windows 10 image prior to MC being installed and raise it up to latest version but looks like having read back through the forum I'm worried that if i raise it to the very latest version:-

1) SMB is going to be messed up? (which i need)
    2) I'll be unable to use the above trick to stop windows updating and hold it a a particular version anymore?

So i'm going to use the windows update show / hide tool to supress all updates and just take the 1607 update and get my system to 1607 14393.2007 and stop there I think this then is probably as far as I'm going to be able to update windows 10.

My TV is on the blink and I'm probably going to end up getting a 4K TV! Did anyone find out how to patch the ehshell version 6.3.9600.16384 to supress the high resolution warning?

Best Regards

Gareth North

P.S Like the work with the Modern Media UI nice having all the reg hacks in one place! Good Work!

11. BillTech

BillTech MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2010
    hey guys is cable card still broken?
    if not whats the best version of wmc to download?
    fresh install win10
    thanks

12. Mkwiggy

Mkwiggy MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2017
    I guess I should've posed this as a question the 1st time. I couldn't find help on it. Is there a way to fix the guide. I can't search for TV recordings by "Keyword" without getting an error saying "search results may be incomplete because the guide listings are still being indexed." I used to be able to.
    Also, any way to get it to work on a 4k laptop without changing display setting to open it every time?

13. Blaine Kehl

Blaine Kehl MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2017
    Full screen freeze fixed.

I struggled for days with WMC freezing when maximizing to full screen.

I am running WMC 8.7 in a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 1709 on a HP ProDesk 600 G1 DM with 16GB RAM, Intel i5-4590T @ 2.00GHz, and Intel HD 4600 graphics.

I tried disabling game bar, running in Windows 8 compatibility mode, disabling full screen optimizations, and various builds of WMC all to no avail.

Finally I disabled hardware acceleration on my video card and WMC stopped crashing in full screen.

I had to disable it using the regedit as follows:
    1. Open regedit and browse to HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics
    2. Create DWORD called DisableHWAcceleration
    3. Set value to 1

I hope this helps someone.

14. tekjester

tekjester MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2017
    I cannot get WMC 12 to recognize my HDHomeRun.

I have a clean version of 10586.1356
    I am using the 20150806 version of HDHomeRun Drivers
    The extenders are configured and work correctly.

I tried putting the computer to sleep and starting it back up, but that didn't work.

Updates are disabled. There are three installed that I cannot get rid of. KB4035632, KB3173428, and KB3161102.

ehprivjob.exe /ocurdiscovery shows all three Tuners.

When I try to set up live TV on WMC, it pauses for about a minute and says,

"The TV signal cannot be configured because a tuner was not detected. If you have a tuner, ensure it is installed correctly."

I'm at my wit's end trying to get this thing to work. My 8.1 WMC key is saying its no longer valid, or else I'd just downgrade. I have an MSDN subscription, so I can get any version except WMC. I just cannot figure out this this won't work.

15. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
  16. tekjester

tekjester MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2017
    Bummer, there aren't any updates to install. The version you showed there is the version I already have installed.

Looks like a long-winded revert back down to Windows 8.1. :(

17. MethKillsKids

MethKillsKids MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    [TV Setup]
    "Downloading TV Setup Data"
    Windows Media Center is downloading the latest TV setup data for your region

Yes I'm just getting this message... hangs forever. Tried all the workarounds in included doc (Workarounds.txt) + moved ehome + Disabled full screen optimizations + registry edit w EhtrayExitDelay. @win10 Pro 16299.192 / 1709.

Is anyone having luck downgrading to 1511? I had disabled WUP service and it still forced this one down. Not sure if I wait longer for guide to work or try and downgrade (but then how do i block updates?).

Attached Files:

18. cjghome

cjghome MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2015
    #8619 cjghome, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Finally figure out the issue with guide not updating...
    This worked for me..
    Using the "workaround" text
    Start with Line 6 complete everything up to and including line 9.

"6.Type: ipconfig /flushdns
    If you type it correctly it should say: "successfully flushed the dns resolver cache."
    7.Close Windows Media Center if it is open
    8.Start>type "c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome"
    9.Delete file "mcepg2-0" and folder "mcepg2-0" this will force you to set up live tv from scratch in WMC (or delete anything named m***.db and the corresponding folder)

Stop after line 9.
    Disconnect from the internet without turning the computer off.
    now do line 10.

10.Open windows media center and go through the Live TV setup and you should now be able to download guide data"

You will get the guide error popup.

Turn you computer off.
    Re-connect to the Internet.

Run Guide setup again.

After several months I now have an updated guide...

That worked for me.
    FYI....I have been using MCE since my purchase of HP873n. back in October 2002
    Love the UI and wished MS would offer it as a stand-alone software.

19. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Update:

Having spent a long time comparing a couple of identical PCs, one on 1703 and the other on 1709, I can't see any registry entries or files present on one of them and not the other that would stop the WMC specific buttons from working. I may well have missed something of course - there are thousands of registry entries and hundreds of files and I have absolutely no idea what a lot of them do.

I'm fairly sure that Microsoft have removed WMC functionality from within explorer itself because on 1703, when any of the WMC buttons is pressed, explorer fires up ehtray and then ehshell. On 1709 it does absolutely nothing.

I tried restoring changed parts of 1703 onto the 1709 PC but all that achieved was a broken PC so I've basically given up now and am using a combination of Event Ghost and the ehtray starter script.