[DISCUSSION] Please, let Windows XP die with dignity

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by WinDev, Sep 21, 2013.

1. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ussr_1991

ussr_1991 MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2008
    Not only US military, Singapore (A major US ally in South East Asia) military has upgraded their XP computers to fresh new Windows 7 PC recently a few months back in phases.

So yes, most if not all the government agencies are moving away from XP and hence the next would be MNCs.

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Just read that around 405 million users worldwide are still using XP.
    Consider the revenues to MS of these people upgrading to win 7 or 8.
    At say $120 per licence, that amounts to $49 billion in potential revenues. Of course, not all will upgrade or even if they upgrade, buy a licence:D
    Even then, it could still represent around $10 billion in revenues for MS if only 20% do buy a win 7/8 in the next 1 yr.

5. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    #25 RJARRRPCGP, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    I like XP x64! That XP don't deserve to die!

The only real problem I'm having is when stuff is compiled with MS Visual Studio 2012 and/or the Windows 8 SDK, which causes XP x64 to think the .exes are corrupted!

(Particularly with Waterfox, Palemoon and Cyberfox)

Even 7 is bloated!

Vista and later apparently will have occasional lagging fits pretty much with anything less than roughly 5 Ghz. :(

(And less than about 16 GB of RAM on Vista x64 and later)

For all I know, Vista and later will always have some lagging fits on anything less than 5.8 Ghz. :(

6. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    #26 RJARRRPCGP, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  7. Viggen66

Viggen66 MDL Senior Member

May 24, 2011
    I'm using XP Home on a laptop, which is very capable of running Windows 7 or even 8, but I feel more secure with XP, less laggy and it does everything later OS do, with a plus, is less bloatware, the only thing I miss from XP is the superfecth available starting Vista, but if you install eboostr on a XP machine, you will gain that feature making it flawlessly fast, or even better still, because you get better results from this program.

8. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    You can always switch to server 2003 r2 if you insist on nt 5, and use it as client operating system. x86 version supports more than 4gb of ram and works pretty much the same as win xp.

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Windows ThinPC works on the majority of the old XP systems Ive run into, makes for a nice upgrade using older hardware. Might be something for XP users to look into if they need more compatibility

10. mailliteuk

mailliteuk MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2010
    Can I still run XP for the next 10 years without updating . Only uses Browser and Word .

11. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
  12. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    I have computer from 1997 which now use my aunt, and it runs Windows 98 Second Edition (when I buyed, it's installed NT 4.0 Enterprise).

13. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #33 stayboogy, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    i hate windows 8--worst OS for non-touch pcs ever, hands down

i like windows 7 a little bit--cleaner and faster and better than vista

i hate vista--only OS worse than windows 8

i LOVE XP--regardless of it losing support, i'll still use it for most every day pc tasks. until M$ makes something better, this is where i'll stay, for M$ OSes anyway.

Ubuntu and Android are the future of the personal computer, no doubts about it; and how absolutely terrible windows 8 is only makes Linux cooks look more enticing...

14. Small Business Server

Oct 3, 2013
    Windows XP - I love it, a couple years ago it looks new, but now it looks old.

Windows Vista - I hate it, because it's very crappy.

Windows 7 - Windows Vista which works. It's my favorite, like XP.

Windows 8 - I hate it, it's not crappy like Vista, but it haven't Start Menu.

Windows 8.1 - Windows 8 SP1. It have Start button again, and most drivers works.

15. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #35 johnye_pt, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    Windows 8.1 has a Start button?!? I thought it was just a right click menu :eek:

I still use XP because my laptop is an old one. Maxed out at 2GB RAM, BIOS patched for 128GB limite (currently with 320GB IDE HDD), wireless G replaced by N, XP is the only way to go with this machine. I never updated it since SP3 came out, so I'm in 0-day for 5,5 years. And yes, no infection to be found since then, I keep my anti-virus and browser updated. And believe be, I have used and abused of Windows XP and it never failed on me. Well, almost never...

I'll certainly upgrade to Windows 7 when I get a "new" computer. I didn't like it at first but it evolved to a very good OS. I could honestly say that I consider Windows XP and 7 to be equal in reliability and usability. XP will eventually lose support for 3rd party apps, but it will continue to be the best OS to older computers.

My current philosophy is:
    - Designed for Windows Vista/7/8 - Use Windows 7 SP1
    - Designed for Windows 2000/XP - Use Windows XP SP3 with 512MB, 1GB or more memory if possible
    - Designed for Windows 98/Me or less - What the frack do you you want that for?!? Oh, nostalgia! Have fun with an AIO DVD :cool:

16. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Emphasize is on "button". The Start button will only redirect to the Metro screen or All Apps view. There's no Start Menu in the classic sense.

17. empireum

empireum MDL Junior Member

Oct 25, 2013
    I will use Windows XP after 2014 and XP will never die.

18. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    The OS won't die. You can always emulate it, but as for a main OS; it will definitely die.
    Hardware support will end. Existing Hardware components will fail. It's a fact of life.
    Eventually every system on earth will need to be replaced.

It's just about how long you want to drag out the inevitable.

I'll come along in another 5 months to tease the next crowd of xp defenders.

19. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    That only took 4 1/2 months! Please let XP AND this topic die with dignity :D

I'm still on my old laptop, but since my last post (check 4 posts above) I did something that messed with XP's network configuration, so I though: "Why not give Windows 7 another try?" HDD partitions are still the same ( C:WinXP, D:Win7, E:My files) but my default OS is now 7. C and D drive switch when I boot Windows 7, so the current operating system in use is always C:. As a matter of fact, I haven't used XP since January because I was lucky enough to find the right 3rd party certified drivers for Windows 7 this time around, that includes Aero on ATI Radeon 9700 64Mb! Faster boot, faster shutdown, better usability! I just had to tweak the taskbar to work like XP because I have my own shortcuts menu, I don't like pinned/combined icons, and the original is just too big for my likings.

The only thing that dies is hardware/software support. Live on, Windows XP! And 2000, NT4, NT3.x, Win9x, Win3.x, DOS, etc, whatever makes your old hardware still tick!