[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Enterprise (N) LTSB 2016

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tito, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    No, keys for 7 home premium, pro or ultimate, or any windows 7 key for that matter, won't work on LTSB.

The whole purpose of LTSB is it doesn't get feature updates, so no WU path to upgrade.

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    LTSB can not be upgraded using windows updates,you need to download latest LTSB iso whenever it comes out & then do a manual upgrade by running the installer/iso.

LTSB genuine license can not be obtained for free by upgrade method as this version is officially not sold to a home user.

3. Kazafar

Kazafar MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2018
    Sorry to ask this, but is it possible to add "Movies & TV" UWP app to ltsb?

4. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    You can add MS store to ltsb(check this section) but some apps won't install as they require newer version of windows.

5. goodflood

goodflood MDL Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Two questions:
    1) Can I skip a month when installing CU? Meaning, if I last installed April CU, then skip May, and manually install June CU... is that a bad idea? Could this method break something?
    2) WHDownloader gives the option of downloading CU... does it show the latest ONLY and remove the previous CU? I understand that it does not discriminate 1607 and other versions as different users may need support for different versions installed.

6. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    WHDownloader uses a single w10 updates list but each build series has its own update section, load it and see.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    This is not true.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. 3zero3

3zero3 MDL Senior Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Please, explain.

9. SykoxSR71

SykoxSR71 MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2018
    Thank you so much...

I am total noob here

so just to clarify.. the n x64 is one I am supposed to get or the other non n one?

10. windows 10 updates are cumulative, it means they contain all the fixes released till that day. so no problem if you skipped one month, the latest cumulative contain all the fixes.
    go with non n version.
    n version may create problems in some programs and games.

11. mydailylife

mydailylife MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2016
    Does the Media Feature Pack allow you to select what components to install?

12. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    ^^It is better to install non-n version if you are going to install media feature pack on n version.It has less chances of errors in the long run.As for your query I don't think it is possible to do a custom install of media feature pack but wait for others' replies.

13. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Servicing Stack before CU.

14. mydailylife

mydailylife MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2016
    Thank you. In lack of more info on this as of now I'll go with the non-N version, but I would like to know still.

15. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    ^^I think he wants a confirmation if it is indeed not possible to do a custom install of media feature pack(e.g.selecting only wmp related functions while excluding others like groove app).

16. mydailylife

mydailylife MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2016
    Thanks. I installed LTSB 1607 however.

Exactly. I wanted the codecs and whatever other dependencies but without the apps and bloat.

Another question:
    I am on LTSB 1607. Is there a (preferably built-in) way to pick and choose individual updates to download and install? Digging around it seems the way to stop automatic downloading and installing is to set Group Policies, but I found nothing on choosing what to install. Nothing yet on controlling the forced restarts either.
    Another: is there an offline download like simplix's available? I know they roll cumulative updates now but where can I find the direct download? And for other updates are there more convenient alternatives?
    Sorry if this isn't the right place. I come from 7 and I am trying to get a reasonable 10 install up and running just to get hit by updates right away.

17. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    No feature updates only security updates & bug fixes on ltsb so not much point choosing among them unlike normal win 10 editions.I think ltsb has update settings that allow one to choose time of install or restart etc,just search in update settings in control panel app & usual control panel--update settings.