[DISCUSSION] Windows 11 Official Build 22000.xxx (PC) [co_release]

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Enthousiast, Jun 28, 2021.

1. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    Still not always reporting freed-up space correctly. A reboot sorts it so not sure what 11 is doing there.

2. jsmith242

jsmith242 MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2014
    Trying to boot into WinRE after clean installing 22000.120 via UUPDump (IP selected, not CU) results in it BSODing with PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED :\

3. verndog

verndog MDL Member

May 3, 2010
    I get the same results also, for the past two days.

4. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    #3244 mrbbq, Aug 7, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    The PROCESS1 error is the same thing I and others were encountering. Someone allegedly spoke to someone at Microsoft and was told it had to do with some part of the actual files being corrupted, and it is a known priority issue, which may mean 130 or another build appears sooner than usual. I had previously upgraded all the way from the original leaked '96 version via isos due to not being in the insider program - this was the first not to work.

Eventually Windows Update just offered me the .120 update and that installed and worked fine now.

5. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    My experience running Windows 11 (on intel 2nd gen potato)

INSTALL:
    - used .100 feature update from uupdump with just pro index, and overwrite sources\appraiserres.dll with the 1703 version I had around
    - extracted and then added auto.cmd next to setup.exe to minimize possible issues when doing the live upgrade from 2004 edu
    auto.cmd was borrowed from universal mediacreationtool.bat workfolder, but just this would do:
    Code:
    start "auto" sources\setupprep.exe /Selfhost /Compat IgnoreWarning /CompactOS Disable /MigrateDrivers All /ResizeRecoveryPartition Disable /ShowOOBE None /Pkey Defer /Telemetry Disable /Eula Accept /SkipSummary /DynamicUpdate Enable /Uninstall Enable /MigChoice Upgrade /Auto Upgrade
    - while setup was underway, I've checked Panther\setupact.log and found it a bit more robust than 10, with some interesting stuff
    - /DynamicUpdate setup choice did not work so no latest .120 LCU downloaded, guess being enrolled was needed
    (why would I voluntarily subject myself to a flood of wild telemetry ha Ha)
    - it went well and reasonably fast, straight back to 11 desktop

FIRST CONTACT:
    - despite oobe looking sexier, the actual desktop ui is the worst I've ever experienced
    - forced taskbar grouping in the most cumbersome way is an usability deal breaker
    - inconsistent icons with unfitting contrast everywhere and terrible palette like for example the defender one
    - giant context menus compared to other common ui controls
    - horrible taskbar with no small variant, and just taskbar settings context menu?!
    - taskbar in auto-hide does not pop up over the right-edge/systray/clock-area wtf?!
    and right-clicking systray icons like defender often leaves the menu sticky, same for the notification / calendar combo area, just cringe to use
    - terminal app has an annoying focus stealing warning when pasting multi-line (had to pin powershell to startmenu as it quickly got on my nerves)
    - settings app is even worse than in 10, with frequent freezes
    - task manager and event viewer are the same unoptimized trash
    - only task view seems improved

SCRATCHING THE SURFACE:
    - all my drivers, programs, apps, policies, registry tweaks have largely been kept
    (services were re-enabled, windefend for example despite being dependency-trick blocked, edge update and elevation ones, as well as some disabled devices)
    - no ms account was needed, microsoft store still worked fine to get free apps without login
    - /Uninstall Disable only kept a minimal configuration backup of Users folder, no past Windows stuff whatsoever in Windows.old (me likes it that way)
    - windows update worked immediately without issues getting .120 build

AND I'M DONE:
    - I don't see any point that would make me get on the treadmill of half-assed windows 11 builds

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    It is working fine for me. Delete all previous attempts and start over. Remember to extract the file, it is compressed when it is downloaded.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. TShadow

TShadow MDL Junior Member

May 21, 2007
    Will they ever fix the Widgets not working for many people? On 10 it just always worked.

8. parafer

parafer MDL Member

Dec 20, 2016
    Intel Potato Lake proc :D

9. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Isn't dynamic update intended just for, well... dynamic updates (aka updates to setup itself not LCUs)?

10. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    nope, windows 10 setup was intended to use just one burned dvd / usb / mct esd as base media,
    supplemented with current updates i.e. LCUs whenever setup is needed in a portable fashion
    It hasn't always worked well with older builds, but it's quite reliable with anything 1904x.
    I mostly use the universal mct script to upgrade from/to 20H1 - 20H2 - 21H1 interchangeably,
    and can either consistently get the latest one, or just downgrade to the esd build (like .928 .631 or .572) whenever ms f**ks up the LCU

11. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    This alone will keep me from using 11 on my workstation. I have a 43 inch 4K monitor, why the hell do I want all tasks combined?

The context menu is also hilarious. Someone mentioned that software can be re-coded to have an entry on the new context menu which seems insane to me. So I can have 2 identical context menus after everyone adapts their software to 11? Who the hell signed off on that one?

12. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #3253 acer-5100, Aug 7, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Ok, I'm not that in love with recent win 10 installs so i rarely use them

Seem that since 2004 you have specific switches for the LCUs

Hard to say how the command evolved since 1507

13. sesnut

sesnut MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    the old context menu is there for software that isnt updated; why is that so hard to understand?

14. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    And new software will use the new context menu, right? Why have a new menu when everything will end up there and also exist on the old menu?

Why is that so hard to understand? I don't want 2 menus with the same entries.

BTW, we are being a bit optimistic anyway, right? Is there is going to be 1:1? Of course not. Right click install via .inf is a MS function and MS did not update the new context menu now did they?

Part of being a fan is complaining when what you are a fan of starts to suck.

15. parafer

parafer MDL Member

Dec 20, 2016
    I really fear not. However, if MS makes adding context menu entries for apps possible then it opens up anyone's ability to modify the new context menu. If they don't, it is not design I can see succeeding.

16. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    .120 Build and they still don't fix Drag and Drop feature in Taskbar...

17. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Afaik Microsoft made the choice to intentionally remove drag and drop from the taskbar.
    You can't even drag icons inside a metro app or menu into the taskbar, so it's completely disabled/removed

18. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    If you mean pinning you have to actually open an app to pin it, not just drag the shortcut to the taskbar.

Its kind of a theme in Windows 11. If it used to take 1 click, it often takes 2 now.