[DISCUSSION] Windows 11 Official Build 22000.xxx (PC) [co_release]

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Enthousiast, Jun 28, 2021.

1. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    @murphy78 just showing an actual scenario about what msft can do, and with 19042.xxx they started sysprepping the image with old stuff still in, ISOs are going already to 6GB atm.

3. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    The interface is an indication that they are going all in on touch screen design. I made a post about this before, but desktop users generally have all of the stuff in the corners of the screen to reduce clutter and touchscreen users have all of the stuff in the center of the screen for ease of use. It reminds me of video game design. If you design a game where the controls are for a keyboard and mouse, it is going to be drastically different from a game where the input method is a controller.

4. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I know, but that's not what they're shipping to OEMs. Those are the refresh images for end-users. They started releasing those because of all of the enthusiasts who kept downloading images with all of the updates included.

5. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    I have to admit that my approach is desktop and not touch input. I feel comfortable behind my keyboard and mouse, and not turning my finger and waving my arm over a screen. Perhaps it is too many years behind these two peripherals.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Don't get me wrong but i actually can't care less what MSFT releases to whoever, i only see what they are doing since 1903x and 1904x.

With 1809 they even deny 17763.1 ever existed and used a refresh iso 17763.107 = 17763.1 + LCU as official re-release ISO, with 1903 it was 18362.30 = 18362.1 + LCU.

7. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    They COULD be getting extremely lazy and making the most bloated buggy OS in history. I just really doubt it. I think they're using the insider program as intended. I think they're using it for feedback on superficial things like the UI and the new videochat app and such. They then incorporate those changes into their private build that they will eventually sell with all of the features that actually make it worth selling. That would be my bet. I don't see them being this sloppy on a brand new OS version. It's possible, I just don't see it.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It's not about buggy, it'ss about the method of iso creation and releasing it.

Win 11 was meant for OEM devices, first developed with the 10X designation, next they ditched it and went for 11 containing the 10X stuff, but this was not what i am replying to.

9. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    As far as the recent trend of stopping the availability of non-cu-integrated versions, of course they would. Why would they keep releasing a build if they already re-compiled a version with a cu that fixed an issue they were concerned with. It doesn't mean that the previous version didn't pass their mandatory months of testing that they do. Say they had an OEM build that they noticed couldn't property play 4k video for some reason. Perhaps it worked, but after like an hour of playing, the video would get choppy and eventually be unplayable. Say they noticed it was a system process that was leaking memory and it required a CU. So they recompile the build and send it to OEMs and say, "You should start using this version because we fixed a 4k video bug that would error out after an hour because of a memory leak. People could still use custom software just fine, but the default player had problems."

Well of course, they would stop offering that build to everyone if they knew they had fixed an issue. That's a far cry from starting with a modded Windows 10 with UI changes and a video conferencing app and eventually patching it so much that it eventually becomes a whole different OS. Fixing one issue is different from patching the entire OS. Technically the patching system and registry could be such that you patch the system and it becomes unrecognizable as an operating system. You could patch this build so that it just functions as a Street Fighter 2 arcade game. You can do a lot with delta patches and registry settings, just why Microsoft would want to, I have no idea.

10. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    #2630 murphy78, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    I guess I am not sure what you mean. Refresh ISOs are not RTM. They are purely end-user satisfaction releases. They do not get released to OEMs. I have never seen an OEM image that matched a refresh ISO. I have seen an OEM image with a cumulative update, but they are always minor. They always fix a small issue. They do not include rollupdates or the like.

Edit: I'm sure they use the smallest cumulative update that fixes the issue in question for a reason. This way it will not cause issues with other updates that they release. They could just include a patch for the issue in question, but then it would cause problems with troubleshooting in the future if they would having issues updating windows or something. They use the known process as a way to mitigate problems. It's not that they need or want to use cumulative updates.

11. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    After all, an RTM version is not a solid and defined version, but a finished version and stable enough to go on the market in OEM versions.

What we can be sure of is that we will have patch updates, whether they are security or optional patches.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    @murphy78

There is one point that no one has mentioned yet

Until win8.1 come out there was no /resetbase option in dism so for MS and OEM providing a build 9600.18000 would have meant to provide a build which was almost the twice of the size of build 16384/RTM which surely didn't fit in a 4.7GB DVD, and so on.

So having a proper RTM built from scratch was practically mandatory.
    Since W8.1 that problem is gone, although many OEMs and likely MS itself realized that fact with a delay (see Techus for example which had some updated ISOs that were almost 6GB (2GB of which was outdated crap).

So is very possible that MS decides to keep the current 22000 branch, taking advantage of the fast networks of 2021 for relatively fat (and forced) updates, while providing fresh and reset-based ISO for the few cases where a physical media is still needed.

13. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Well anyone who has ever made any kind of software can tell you that you can never make something that is perfect. That's why they call them releases. You have to let them go. There will always be bugs. I bet most of MS's workforce is in testing and bug squashing, not coding. I know we give MS a hard time when they do things wrong, but I think they have pretty darn good about their quality over time.

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    running in loops here:rolleyes:

15. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I wish that I could integrate updates the way that MS integrates updates. Even resetbase doesn't do it justice. Even with the registry key to delete the delta files. MS pre-integrated builds are superior. Of course, fresh compiled builds with no updates added are superior to those. No bloat = win. Something I've noticed about my years of integrating updates is that updates slow down the operating system. Your system does things in the background to process the updates, and that's what I mean with the ms-pre-integrated updates. They don't do that slowdown thing. There's some kind of background archiving or something that your system does after you download and install updates or after you install a system that has manually integrated updates.

MS, if you're reading this, give me your secrets.

16. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm sorry, enth. I know guys in general are stubborn, but I have OCD from my father and I inherited my mother's ability to see problems in anything. I try to control myself, but I'm probably the most annoying person on Earth to argue with. I'm aware of this and of people that I'm friendly with I really have to mentally pull my own leash. I wish I could have come up with a better way to approach argument without coming across as a brick wall, but alas I haven't found it for my personality issues. Most people at least pretend like they're trying to see things from the other person's point of view, but I can never seem to come across as doing that. I'm terrible with communication.

17. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    Well, I think that more people like you are needed. You have to look for the meaning of things, it is human, although sometimes we make mistakes, successes also count, and this is what makes us move forward in everything. Thanks for letting me read you.

18. MarvelX7

MarvelX7 MDL Member

Jun 1, 2021
    don't know why i read it "Thanks for letting me ride you" twice the first time :evil::tooth::tooth::biggrin3:

19. P40L0

P40L0 MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Yes.
    They already did that with MS Teams native taskbar integration and will also unlock android .apk support and Direct Storage via CUs.

20. P40L0

P40L0 MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    #2640 P40L0, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    19041.1 with .264 CU installed via Windows Update and 19041.1 with .264 CU integrated into ISO did result in the exact same installation.

The same will happen with 22000.xxx where the xxx would be another ".264" CU which will declare Windows 11 first version final.
    Installing it via Windows Update on top of what we already have or integrating it via ISO will be the same thing.