Disk Defragmentation reducing my disk space

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Antidote, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Antidote

Antidote MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2009
    HEY guys,

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2.
    I have a 80 gb hard disk Ntfs Format.
    The issue is quite peculiar, i recently defragmented my hard disk and i noticed dat i lost 2-2.5 gb of my c drive space.i could not understand why would that happen.i thought disk defragmentation makes the hard disk perform better and increases disk space.
    I also formatted my hard disk once before and i was facing the same problem then....

2. Antidote

Antidote MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2009
    yes i did use the inbuilt disk defragmentation,i also did perform the disk clean up before the defragmentation.
    but i stil do not understand why would it reduce disk space,even if it does not defrag properly why the disk space.
    nyways ill try the alternate defrag and get back to you...

3. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    @Doktonotor

A post that is unrelated to the thread is just one clue of the possibility of SPAM or links to malicious scripts. Links to commercial sites, within the body of a post may or may not be legit (e.g., you like Acronis and in a post link to their site as part of a recommendation to one who is looking for image SW - an OK link); signatures that link to commercial sites are, generally, verboten.

I have removed the offending post and, in the future, please feel free to PM any of the Mods when you see a post that looks . . . shall we say . . . suspicious.

Thanks for your astute observation and your willingness to post same.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Antidote

Antidote MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2009
    Thank you guys i tried used a program called ccleaner and checked the wipe free space option among all the others, it took time to complete though.restarted the computer and i got the space back.

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks

@Antidote

Notice that, depending on how you have configured it, CCleaner might remove a host of things like install and roll back files. It also dumps the Trash Can. I mention the latter in the event that you do not realize that sending files to the Trash Can does not delete them, i.e., the file entries are simply deleted from the Master File Table (MFT) but the files still exist - which is why you can recover them. Emptying the Trash Can frees up the space by permanently removing the files - gaining space.

Glad your issue is resolved and thanks for posting back with your solution.

Monk