Disk Management Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DeathStalker77, Jan 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Senior Member

Nov 8, 2009
    #1 DeathStalker77, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    I seem to be full of strange ones with this installation.

This is something that has existed from the very start of my installation in November, but I just haven't bothered to do anything about it. It doesn't seem to be affecting the system in any way, but it's strange nonetheless.

1) After going through the problems I detailed in my previous post (http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/14613), I still have my old WinXP drive listed as Active - see image attachment 01 - 3rd drive down shows "Healthy (Active, Primary Partition) - since it's still a Basic disk, will converting it to Dynamic remove those attributes?

2) You'll notice that there are 2 drives at the bottom of that same image that have the red X and indicate "Failed" - the drive sizes match both my new Win7 boot drive [Primary W7 (C:)] and my old WinXP boot drive (which is D:) - they do not "Reactivate", and I am not certain I want to select "Delete Volume" as I am concerned about it also deleting the contents of the "actual" drives (C: & D:). Also "odd" is that both the "Missing" drives show as Dynamic, when actually only the one drive (now the C: drive) was previously dynamic - but that was under WinXP!

Has anyone encountered this before? Re-running Detect Devices doesn't change anything, and I've not been able to find any other references to this "ghost" situation anywhere.

The 2nd & 3rd image attachments show the drive status in the 2nd half of the Disk Management window - interesting that my Primary drive shows as Disk 2, when it's the Master IDE drive and the D: drive is the IDE Slave (both set on cable select) - don't know if that makes a difference or not. the rest of the drives are either IDE on a PCI card or SATA drives.

Thanks for any assistance!!! :eek:

Attached Files:

2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    delete the volumes

use diskpart to mark the other disk as inactive

3. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    So you're certain that deleting the won't affect the existing drives?

And what would be the Diskpart commands? I've never used Diskpart before.

Thanks! :)

4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    #4 HSChronic, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    yeah they say missing so they aren't there.

Diskpart commands: open elevated command prompt (aka command prompt as admin)

type in:
    Code:
    diskpart
    select disk 1
    select partition 1
    inactive
    exit

Also don't mess with Dynamic volumes, most imaging/backup software can't back them up and/or partition them.

5. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Ok, I'll do that.

I was under the impression that Dynamic disks provided some advantage over Basic?