Disk not showing on My Computer, help!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by soamz, Jan 13, 2016.

1. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I had windows 10 Pro. The OS was somehow acting weird, so I re installed windows 10 pro again, and did not touch the other drives, as I had data there, important data.

Now after the installation of fresh windows 10, I can see all the drives fine with all the date.

But one partition is not showing on My Computer.

When I goto disk management, I can see that.

How do I make it show on My Computer so I can use the data ?

See attached.

"Photozone Backup"
    is the partition which is not showing on My Computer.

Screenshot_1.png

2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #2 lobo11, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    It's hard for me to see but I think you need to assign it a drive letter, a letter not being used, then reboot:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Oh yes!
    Thank you thank you!!!

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Just right click & assign a drive letter. Don't create any volumes etc... Just assign a drive letter...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    You are correct if the partition already has drive letter, in his case he did not, right clicking on partion with no drive letter will say help, create simple volume, and assign drive letter, couldn't you tell he had already completed this:confused::g:

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #6 Flipp3r, Jan 13, 2016
    If you look at the pic it already is a valid, formatted primary partition with data. Why would you even try "creating a simple volume"? :eek: Whatever, I'm sure he's got it by now & life is good! :clap:

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #7 MrMagic, Jan 13, 2016
    Just assigning a drive letter is the correct way, why would you assign a drive letter to a drive that already has a letter?

Creating a new simple volume is only for "Unallocated space", what you are suggesting could wipe his data

Only assign a drive letter

EDITED Unpartitioned > Unallocated

8. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    If you look at the picture above of the named partition, it clearly has no drive letter assigned:confused:

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I know, which is why you ONLY assign a drive letter, nothing else

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    In a third party application, yes maybe assign only drive letter, but in disk management it's different. It does not give you choice of assigning drive letter if one is not already present, if a drive letter is assigned, it on right click allows you to change, but in disk management if no drive letter is assigned, right click just says help.:D

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    No it doesn't, I'm talking purely about disk management, plenty of times after a clean install, one of my drives has not been assigned a drive letter

All you do is right click that drive/partition, and "Change drive letters and paths" and pick a new letter

Done

Try it yourself - pick a drive, tell it to change drive letters, remove the letter, - that drive is now identical to OPs screenshot, no letter and not visible in "This PC"

Now right click it again, and choose "Change drive letters and paths", and assign it a new letter - boom, it is visible again

12. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #12 lobo11, Jan 13, 2016
    We are not talking about New Letter we are talking about where there is no letter assigned:D

13. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Holy sh1t, I KNOW!

Why would you want to assign a letter to a drive that already had one?

This is when windows bugs out and forgets to assign one in the first place, forcing you to do it manually

Anyway, what I am saying is correct, along with the other member who also knows what he is talking about - not continuing arguing about something I know is fact

It is obvious you are confused, as you tried to tell OP to "Create a new simple volume" on a drive/partition that already contained perfectly good data/files, and if OP had succeeded, he would have destroyed all that data, when all that needed doing was giving that drive/partition a letter

14. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I believe you are right, oh the shame I feel, but as I recall, at first I just told him to assign drive letter as it says now (I changed it) then a few minutes later I added the new volume part, so I guess he just added new drive letter (I hope) if my 4th ex wife had not been screaming at me, well, I was wrong:31: