Disk partition

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by hitendra, Dec 17, 2013.

1. hitendra

hitendra MDL Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Windows Disk Management or Other software including diskpart does not allow more than 4 partitions with MBR Format.

Previous Disk Management software (DM.bat like) allowed more than 4 partitions with MBR Format.

GPT is also allow more than 4 primary partition if disk size is more than 2TB.

Is this possible to have more than 4 partition with windows utilities e.g. via bootable disk of xp, vista etc?

If via previous disk management software more than 4 partition used in a hard disk then in terms of speed and safety what are the vulnerabilities?

Is Windows XP supports GPT format?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #2 LatinMcG, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    3 primary 1 logical encapsulation with extended drives solves the problem.

also if u are installing win7 on empty unalocated drive it creates 100MB hidden partition on begining.
    to work around that u can boot gparted live and create a partition that u format in win7 setup then it wont create it as it has a partition already defined.

3. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    the limitation is a Windows limitation, AFAIK.. no way around it.

4. goldfinger

goldfinger MDL Junior Member

Dec 29, 2010
    My drives are smaller than 2TB and I have 7 GPT partitions on one of them. No problems on Win 8.

XP 64bit supports read and write for GPT disks, but you can't boot from it. You'll have to use it as a secondary disk.

In all Windows versions, MBR will take precedence over GPT. So if you use hybrid MBR/GPT, you will only see 4 partitions in Windows.

I have no problem with diskpart making more than 4 partitions. But, you need to make sure that you only have 3 primary partitions used because you will need to reserve the 4th primary partition for the extended partition. Like LatinMcG said, the next logical partitions (5th, 6th, etc) will be encapsulated in the extended partition.

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i just mounted a partition EFI on win8 with diskpart assign letter then in cmd as admin when to the drive letter and copied what i needed to the c:\

6. hitendra

hitendra MDL Member

Dec 21, 2007
    If I have 5 primary partitions then is it vulnerable to data saved on the disk?

All the partitions shown properly aligned in hgts alignment tool or paragon partition manager.

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    MBR DOS limitation to 4 primary partitions.
    so follow instructions... make 3 primary .. 1 logical with extended drives inside.