Disk problem?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Carlos Octavio, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Carlos Octavio

Carlos Octavio MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2019
    Hello, today after i did a defrag with Wise Disk Cleaner on D: , i have this problem, never happened before.
    error_disco_d.PNG
    I did chkdsk on unit d, and it says:
    So it means there is NO problem with the disk right?
    I think ... then why it is giving that problem ?

Thank you and have a GREAT Sunday !

2. hamdoullah

hamdoullah MDL Member

Oct 27, 2019
    This message is significant, it clearly shows that yout Hard drive is about to die.
    download and install "CrystalDiskInfo" then run it and post a screen.

3. Carlos Octavio

Apr 18, 2019
    Thanks i will do that right now.

4. Carlos Octavio

Apr 18, 2019
    I think you was right.
    upload_2020-2-16_9-13-35.png

5. Carlos Octavio

Apr 18, 2019
    I will unplug it and then see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

6. hamdoullah

hamdoullah MDL Member

Oct 27, 2019
    #6 hamdoullah, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    that's not good news at all, i suggest to back up your data as quick as possible, it can drop you at any time.

edit : make sure to choose the right letter in the tool at the top that corresponds to your hard drive.

7. hamdoullah

hamdoullah MDL Member

Oct 27, 2019
    yes do that then connect it again and report back with another screen.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop doing anything with this drive and back up all your necessary data that you want to keep now. Continued tests will cause more failure of this drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #9 kaljukass, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Not really my thing to say, but this disk wants maintenance that most likely hasn't been done for a long time. If ever it has been at all done.
    This is true, try to save your files somewhere else, you probably will not can save all, but it is not impossible that you can save all, if you try to repair the disk before. Right-click on disk, select Properties and then Tools table and run under Error checking "Check" and follow the instructions.
    Once this is done, try to save all the files somewhere else, and then empty the disk and then complete (long) formatting. This may take several hours. The result may be a perfectly fine disk or exactly the same as it is today. But it is worth trying.
    NB! You cannot do it by partitions, if You have more than one partition. You must do whole disk at once. And after deep/long formatting is recommended once again run disk check. If there are still some problems, try to wipe disk and ovewrite all with zeros and format again.
    I personally have did it several times and always successfully.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Carlos Octavio

Apr 18, 2019
    That disk was 100% broked. I disconnected it and it is now working 100% good. Thanks guys !

11. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Expert

May 27, 2013
    if you hear any unusual sounds with that Samsung HDD you may consider replacing that drive