Dism /Unmount-Image and Files Explorer problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by balubeto, Oct 21, 2014.

1. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    #1 balubeto, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi

I am using Windows 8.1 Update with its Windows ADK.

I noticed that if I run the command

Code:
    Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:"<Mount_Directory_Path>" /discard

while the Files Explorer is opened on any directory, this command displays an error and it can not unmount the volume image. Instead, if I close the Files Explorer, the above command unmounts the image correctly. How come?

Thanks

Bye

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DioNZB

DioNZB MDL Member

Jun 23, 2013
    Hi

By Unmounting you have to close the Files Explorer
    because when you open the mount folder in the files explorer and you unmount
    you are "Using" the Mount directory so he can't unmount

so close the file explorer and then unmount

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. l30

l30 GFX Wizard

Apr 14, 2014
    Fully agreed but you also have to make sure none of the mounted file is opened if it is than it will also give an error while unmounting

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I used to have weird issues committing images until I discovered it only happened while I had File Explorer open.
    These days I just close it automatically while working with builds from the ADK command prompt...

5. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    My problem happens even when Files Explorer is opened on another directory other than the mounting. How come?

Thanks

Bye

6. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    #6 balubeto, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Hi

I open normally Files Explorer and I observe any directory different from that of mounting and then I open the the environment window of the Windows ADK and I mount a volume image, with the command

Code:
    Dism /Mount-Image /MountDir:"<Mount_Directory_Path>"

and then, I unmount it with the command

Code:
    Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:"<Mount_Directory_Path>" /discard

I get the 0xc1420117 error. If, however, I close Explorer Files before dismounting it, the dismounting command works correctly. How come?

Thanks

Bye

7. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    again the same questions :confused: google the error code or stop playing with dism :D