Dismounting a volume ( C: ) so as to be able to format the drive.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bobbylama, Aug 24, 2010.

1. bobbylama

bobbylama MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2010
    I have been trying to format my C: drive and have been having a few stumbling blocks to my success. The first problem was elevating the mode of the utility ( format) . I got past that by logging on as the Administrator and after clicking on Run and entering cmd I pressed the control+shift+enter to achieve the elevated status. My next step, I thought was to simply enter the format C: command and begin the formatting process. I was WRONG!
    I was met with this message:
    "Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? ( Y/N ) "
    I then pressed y to accept.
    This message appeared:
    Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.
    I then opened the Task Manager and stopped all of the Processes and Applications and retried the format C: command and AGAIN got the EXACT same messages as listed above.
    What must I do to achieve my goal?
    My Win 7 Pro OS has become possessed. Code 43 and missing printer, optical drives ( both DVD's ) and a mouse with an erratic mind of its' own.
    Could you help a brother out? Thanks for ANY help.
    Bob :confused:

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009

Oh my oh my..

You know you cant format the C:\ Drive beacuse its in use.. you need format/reinstall using your OS dvd...

3. LFDDatMyDigitalLife

LFDDatMyDigitalLife MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2010
    You can also use the Free Bootable CD from Partition Wizard to format your C: drive !

h*t*t*p://w*w*w.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

(the stars are there cause I cannot put any link)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobbylama

bobbylama MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2010
    Yep, I know but due to Code 43 ( whatever the heck that is ) my DVDs ( both optical drives ) prevent me from using my OS disk to perform this task. So now what do I do? Where would I obtain a listing of what the codes are ( such as Code 43 & 39 )? Thanks for your help.
    Bob

5. angelwolf71885

angelwolf71885 MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    umm make a usb stick with win 7 on it from an iso and format that way?

6. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    try gparted live cd works great

7. .Matt.

.Matt. MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    Is that because you're trying to format from your OS? If so, you must insert the DVD into the drive, shut down the system and then boot from CD/DVD. If you do not get that option you must change some settings in your BIOS (Boot Device Priority, set CD/DVD to First Boot Device).
    If you boot from CD/DVD you can use your OS disc or another utility to format your drive.

As others said, the OS is blocking the C:\ partition from being formatted because the OS is using that partition. So logically, in order to format the drive, you must somehow de-activate the OS and boot into another OS or medium. The above does exactly that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. bobbylama

bobbylama MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2010
    #8 bobbylama, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    (OP)
    BOTH optical drives prevent me from using them as booting devices.

This is in response to Matt's reply to me.:

I really appreciate the helpful suggestions but as I had stated originally - I cannot use either my Samsung DVD nor my LG Bluray Rewriter due to the fact that the drivers for the devices don't work EVEN after being uninstalled and then re-installed a half-dozen times. In the Device Manager the drives are just listed as CD/DVD with NO specific model information. In the Drive Status Code 43 is stated ( again, where can I obtain a listing of what these codes mean? ).
    I did make an Acronis Backup Image about 6 weeks ago. It was made before everything went bad so if I can make a USB boot flash-drive I can then possibly reformat my C: drive and then install the good image. Do you see any problem with this plan of action?
    Thanks again for your input, it is most appreciated.
    Bob
    o_O

9. amires

amires MDL Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Why wont you try to fix the problems with your optical drives instead of staying away from them. Code 43 means that the drives reported problems to the operating system which in my opinion since both of them have problems then either the problem is driver or faulty cables. What kind of optical drives do you have? are they IDE or SATA? If they are SATA have you installed the AHCI driver for your SATA controller? If your chipset is intel you should install Intel Rapid Storage Technology (even if you are not using raid).

10. bobbylama

bobbylama MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2010
    What's strange is that one day everything was just fine and dandy and then the next - BOOM! I will try to install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology ( I DO have RAID 0 ). Is the command line proper syntax - format C: ? I just wanted to be certain when I do attain access to another drive via USB to repair or wipe my C drive. Where can I obtain the list for the codes that I am seeing. Ex. Code 43?
    Thanks,
    Bob

11. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
  12. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    You cannot format C:\ from Windows running from the hard drive - this is equivalent to cutting out your heart - you need someone else to do this.

Boot from your windows DVD, choose install and delete all partitions and complete install.

If the problem is you can't boot from your DVD drives this is a different issue.

Repeat - You cannot format C:\ from Windows running from the hard drive no matter how you try.

13. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes, came across this recently as wanted to resize partitions. No need to install (partition resizing or mods is not a daily affair so why install). The boot CD is very good, easy to use, free, and you can format your C: OS also.

14. bobbylama

bobbylama MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2010
    I really appreciate the useful link/info but how can I use this as a boot Cd when my CD/DVD drives aren't functioning? Do you think that I could use one of the programs to make a USB flash drive bootable and then copy the Partion Wizard boot cd info onto it? I really need to get this thing up and running again.
    Again, thanks for your helpful input.
    Bob

15. bobbylama

bobbylama MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2010
    Thanks Rosco,
    I got that the first time you posted. I KNOW that I have to utilize another drive OTHER than my C: drive. That was an apt analogy using the heart as a metaphor for the C: drive though. I just need to have some constructive information/instructions as to how to actually achieve the utilization of another drive to accomplish fixing my problem. Thank you for your input. I appreciate ALL posts.
    Bob

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Did you actually read the partition wizard page there is
    version you can download.