Display Issue

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by hitendra, Jul 30, 2022.

1. hitendra

hitendra MDL Member

Dec 21, 2007
    For Ryzen 3800x, Asus Tuf B550M 600W power supply of CPU and Asus GT710 configured machine Acer CB282K monitor is attached. If machine operates on UPS or battery generated power everything is fine. but if machine run on AC power supply whenever a change in voltage or supply occur, even if any other instrument is powered on or off then monitor flick (monitor's display off and on). Tried to upgrade and downgrade NVidia display driver.
    [1] Already replaced all cables.
    [2] Tried on both DP and HDMI mode
    [3] Upgraded and Downgraded NVidia Graphic Driver
    [4] Uninstalled all graphic driver and run pc in very low graphics and with 30 refresh rate.

Now only three Items are suspected (1) CPU SMPS, (2) Graphic Card and (3) Motherboard. How troubleshoot this issue?

2. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    I would start to check the real voltage UNDER LOAD on your main plug and the condition of any plug cable (are you on 110/120V AC?).

Then I would check, if you can, what happens with a different monitor.

Could be that the monitor is too sensitive to small voltage variations, something that can be exacerbated by a main voltage already on the lower side of the tolerances.

Something that a good online UPS masks, given is part of its job.

3. hitendra

hitendra MDL Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Thanks acer-5100
    I already used this monitor on another system and checked this monitor on that system has no issue. On this system another monitor also has no issue. Used mainline stabilizer and UPS but has same issue with this configuration. since this monitor show no issue with another system hence I believed that this monitor is OK. I have procured this in January 2022. also disconnected hdd and load only bios display, on that situation without os and display driver this monitor is working fine. So I want to figure out what wrong in this configuration only.

4. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Other than the voltage, could be an earth loop, it's very rare that they affects modern systems because digital systems are usually resilient to those disturbs, but still they are a thing.

So, try to connect your monitor or PC with a cable w/o the earth pin to see if something changes

also

What happens if you don't use the Nvidia driver at all? (letting the generic windows driver to manage the VGA card?)

also

what happens if you boot your PC with a Linux live distro?

A case like yours is hard to bisect, because likely there isn't a single culprit but a combination of tolerances and/or specific HW minor flaws that taken one by one aren't problems, but that in the worst combination leads to an unwanted behavior.

5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    I would first make sure is not the PSU is not culprit do you have another PSU that you can test and see if you get the same issue?