Distinction between genuine and pirated version

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gundja, May 20, 2017.

1. gundja

gundja MDL Junior Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Hi guys , I would like to know how to distinguish between a genuine version of windows and a pirated one. Both shows that windows is activated in Control Panel.
    How the hell will I know if it is legitimate version or not?

thanks

2. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    Google product key.

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    That's what the online Genuine Validation Check is made for (use IE or Edge(?)).

Note that a technically properly activated Windows can still be non-Genuine, license-wise. So, it depends on your definition of "pirated".

4. frepsz

frepsz MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Check the activation method first with slmgr. If it's KMS and it isn't part of a corporate/school network, and always has 180 days left, it's pirated. You will probably also find C:\windows\autokms.

If it's OEM activation, check the root drive and/or the (mounted) boot partition. If you find a file with a random name, and it's binary contents indicate it being GRUB, that's a Loader, pirated as well.

Other methods are harder to detect.

5. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Things that usually tell me if the install might be pirated are things like:
    • Running PRO on a consumer device or device orignally installed for XP/Vista (might still be legit though, but who knows?)
    • Running Ultimate
    • Having a KMS activation program running or Daz's Loader installed (I think Daz's loader can tell you, also I forgot but I think I remember it using Grub, so at boot you can check with a keyboard button)
    • Product key is default OEM key (Google it or check in "keys.ini" of Daz's Loader).

These are nice ways to make you get a alarm in your mind to check it out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #7 CaptainKirk1966, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Yes indeed, The majority of Win 7 Ultimate installations are no doubt pirated, most likely oem;slp activated by loader or bios mod.

@urie: Daz loader always gives an option to uninstall, regardless of the activation method used, even kms, retail, etc. Clicking the uninstall button reinstalls the appropriate trial key, and returns you to a trial status. The trial status it returns you to may be expired.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    @mxman2k's MRP QT should show : possible emulation when The loader is used.

9. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #9 GOD666, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Some history (because why not):

Both Windows XP and Windows 7's key algorithm were discovered and as such, valid keys could be randomly generated. This was widely done for Windows XP which is why Microsoft released Genuine Validation Check and they updated their algorithm for newer installs. Genuine Validation Check could, however, be easily bypassed and became problematic for paying customers (reporting false positives), which is why over time they discontinued the program. Windows 7's algorithm was also cracked (if you want to call it that), but the requirement to generate a valid key at the time of its release was extremely intensive; taking days, as opposed to Windows XP which could be done in minutes or hours. Because of this, it was not popular and loaders & crackers became the acceptable method of pirating Windows 7. MDL promotes a good example of how good loaders for Windows 7 actually became (@Daz's loader is very user-friendly, uses virtually no resources, and with next to zero conflicts)

The absolute difference is one was bought and the other was pirated.
    • Both will receive updates.
    • Both will report as valid (even against Genuine Validation Check)
    • Both will entitle you to a free copy of Windows 10.
    From the consumer end, there is no difference.

You could argue that the pirated copy receives no official support, but I would argue that technically, you receive the same level of support since Microsoft's own support forums are open to everyone and phone support proves virtually useless (you'll likely be connected to an underpaid employee in India who will have the unsuspecting person installing a rootkit, since he or she has sold out both you and Microsoft long time ago). That said, the majority of all support related issues are online for free, anyways!

Unless you know what to look for, you could use either and never know the difference. The only exception would be that some loaders (none shared here on MDL), could be infectious, which was M$ last big marketing ploy to discourage the pirating of Windows. Their marketing ploy (trying to place fear) was so "successful" that it had the opposite effect in that groups of people banded together to debug code and ensure creditable and safe loaders (having the opposite effect of which Microsoft intended and only furthering the success of the pirating of Windows).