Dixons Advent 9117 Bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by SimonC, Feb 25, 2010.

1. SimonC

SimonC MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2007
    Anyone know where a BIOS flash file can be obtained for a Dixons Advent 9117 Laptop.
    Its a rebadged Uniwill L75II8

I've tried Uniwill support, who never replied.
    I've tried TechGuys UK, they never replied.

Top notch after service guys <sarcastic comment lol>

TIA.

2. dlander

dlander MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    Hi, Did you manage to find the Advent 9117 bios file. I flashed mine with the wrong bios and didn't create a backup of the original. If you have the file, grateful if you could email to me at

champagnebuddy at aol.com

Thanks

3. b166er

b166er MDL Junior Member

Sep 9, 2009
  4. dlander

dlander MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    Unfortunately I flashed my bios with L55II bios and forgot to use the option to backup the original bios to file. Hence I now need a backup from someone else because the file is not available on the ECS Uniwill website. Anybody with a uniwill L77II8 (or rebadged eg Advent 9117 ) laptop would be able to backup their bios by flashing the L55II bios. I am happy to explain how to do this if required.

5. dlander

dlander MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    Sorry to keep asking but i really need a backup of Advent bios to restore my advent 9117 laptop. I have provided a link to a download of swinflash which will do this task without the need to flash your own bios.

Instructions:
    1. download swinflash from following site - landeruk.com/download/swinflash.zip
    2. extract to desktop
    3. run swinflash.exe (as administrator if required)
    4. ensure "Backup BIOS Only" option is selected
    5. click "Backup BIOS" button

This will create a backup of your bios to file BIOS.BAK

I would be very grateful if this backup could be emailed to me or posted for others to access. Post a reply if interested. I am willing to pay for this help. thanks

6. dlander

dlander MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2010
    I have now sucessfully extraced the Advent 9117 Bios from another laptop bought off eBay. The bios can be downloaded from the following link:

landeruk.com/download/advent9117vista.zip

I used the dos utility phlash16.exe (sometimes called flash16.exe) to flash my 9117 restoring the original bios. Please note that the windows based utility SWinFlash was OK for extracting the bios but reported errors when flashing it back to my original laptop. Phlash16 reported no errors but it does require the creation of a bootable USB stick or CD to run. I am pleased to report everthing worked perfectly.

To avoid any future problems caused by the Vista update, I have also created a modified (SLIC 2.1) bios to enable Windows 7 OEM to be installed with the DIXIONS DSGLTD 2.1 Certificate. This modified bios can be found at the following link:

landeruk.com/download/advent9117win7.zip

My original Advent 9117 is now running better than ever under Windows 7 Pro and all windows updates have installed without any problems.

The bios has also been used to flash an Advent 9517 so I would think it could be used for any of the Uniwill L75II8 based laptops.

Hope this is of use to others.

7. tosa

tosa MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2010
    Hi dlander and others.

I installed your win7 bios. Unfortunately the slic_toolkit reports it contains SLICv2.0 and not 2.1, also the marker doesn't agree with X/RSTD and PubKey. So I can't activate win7 with it.

I also tried to create my own bios with phoenix tool using SLIC found on this forum. I got the same results as you. The certificate found here is v2.0 too.

So my question is: does anyone have a real 2.1 slic and certificate for Advent laptop?

Thanks in advance.