DMI Boot CD/Floppy/USB for Award-AMI-Intel BIOS (Add SLP1.0 w/o modding)

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by scancode, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    #23 Bluescreen, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. charles1

charles1 MDL Junior Member

Nov 26, 2010
    #24 charles1, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
    motherboard replacment

I Have A Hewlett Packard Provilion a605x What do I need to do for oem software and the bios? How to peace all these dmi filles and information? How to use the .ima, .iso, file and more? Where is the instutions on this? Should this be a self booting floppy disk? I notice there is a HP virsion of this.

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    slp is already there...read the stickies

6. charles1

Nov 26, 2010
    #26 charles1, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
    Where is the slp 1.0? And how to fully work this program?

Where is the slp 1.0? And how to fully work this program? Is this for HP restore for cd to work properly?

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    As 911medic said, you don't need to use the HP dmi boot cd you have a Hewlett Packard Provilion a605x SLP1.0 string allready present in dmi area. He meant read the stickies on how to make SLP boot cd.

8. charles1

Nov 26, 2010
    #28 charles1, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
    What is slp 1.0?

For replacing motherboard what is needed? I want Hp pc system recovery to work also, hd partion and cd virsion.

9. windNsalsa

windNsalsa MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2010
    Sorry for the noob questions, but looking for answers for questions below. Thanks.

-format (either fat/fat32 or ntfs) usb stick using HP USB Format tool
    +This alone doesn't make the stick bootable, correct?
    -unrar and drop this files inside DMI-USB into stick
    -dmi.IMA : how to use this file?
    -dmitattoo.iso : how to use this file?

10. charles1

Nov 26, 2010
    #30 charles1, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
    Where are the instructions on this dmi boot cd/floopy for award-ami-intel , software?

Sorry for the noob questions, but looking for answers for questions below. Thanks.

-format (either fat/fat32 or ntfs) usb stick using HP USB Format tool
    +This alone doesn't make the stick bootable, correct?
    -unrar and drop this files inside DMI-USB into stick
    -dmi.IMA : how to use this file?
    -dmitattoo.iso : how to use this file?

11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    You do not need to use this..........read the responses to your earlier questions...

12. charles1

Nov 26, 2010
    #32 charles1, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
    Where is the slp 1.0? And how to fully work this program? And is this for hp recov

Where and what is the slp 1.0? boot program? And how to fully work this program? And is this for hp system recovery and the bios? Or is it slic?

13. charles1

Nov 26, 2010
    #33 charles1, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
    Are the stickies the post throughout here?

I am new about this computer board changing. Is everyone telling me that no change in the software is needed when changing motherboard with the same motherboard part number. The bios will auto update itself with slp and other information? And no tattoo is needed also? There are writings on the web that says differently.

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    How about you actually change the motherboard then see what happens, as stated if you are replacing with another hp motherboard slp1.0 string will already be in dmi area fair enough motherboard chassis number will be different. But to be honest no one really uses the recovery system it just put system back to the way it was with all the junk. Read stickies and make up oem slp cd.

15. Grem135

Grem135 MDL Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Thanks to scancode for making this "sata friendly"
    I just returned to WHS from the Vail beta (refresh) and didnt know there was a good way to activate it untill I started searching MDL (figured there had to be something :) )
    Thx again to scancode, suicide solution and anyone else that worked on this.

16. camparks

camparks MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2010
    I have been reading up on this, but need a little affirmation before I try it. Basically I am tire of the crappy computers at my work and I have bought a board, chip and ram to replace in mine. It is an HP dx2300. What I don't want to happen is for the installation to break when I swap in the new board. I don't want to get a blue screen on first boot or stuck in that activation loop that won't let you login, yet it never will go past the desktop background if you tell it 'yes' to go and activate now. As a precaution, I will be cloning the hard drive prior to the swap. The MB is an ASRock and has an AMI bios.

1. Since XP is installed and is OEM, do I just need to tattoo the bios with the DMI boot CD prior to attaching the HD and booting Windows?
    2. Do I need to extract the serial from within Windows prior to the swap? Do I need to use a serial as displayed in the original version of this CD? Or do I just use the serial provided on MS TechNet? This is assuming it will even ask for one - which I think it will with the amount of hardware changed.

My goal is to get this done as safely as possible. I don't want to have to do a Repair Install - as I am not sure what settings it might screw up that have been done by the IT dept.

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Are you certain it is OEM SLP installation just because it is an HP machine it could be using a VLK install a lot of companies installations are. I would retrieve serial number first to check and also the fact you are changing out motherboard may cause problems i,e, chipset drivers e.c.t you may need to do repair install hopefully not.

18. camparks

camparks MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2010
    I checked the install - OEM and registered to 'HP USER'. I used magicjellybean to pull the serials for XP and Office - wrote them down. I installed the nVidia drivers for the new motherboard chipset - it already has the video drivers as it currently has a nVidia video card installed. I cloned the drive before I left. I made a disc from the ISO and will be tattoo-ing the new motherboard before I hook up the cloned drive.

From there, we will just have to see what happens. It should activate offline right? - if I choose the phone-in option and enter the serial from there. Assuming it even asks.

19. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Hello, I have a Gigabyte board GA-965P-DQ6 , i have installed sata hard drive.

win7 installs just fine. but XP gives me blue screen.

I have to set drive as IDE to use XP , even though the HD drive is SATA , . IS it because XP does not support the sata drive , or does not have Sata drivers for inatalling ?

I have downloaded the XP SP3 , and tried , same results.

I need to install as I have some apps which run on XP only, and should be able to boot in win7 without fiddling the setting in bios to set HD as IDE drives.

Any help will be appreciated . thank you .