Dngrsone

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Dngrsone, May 25, 2016.

1. Dngrsone

Dngrsone MDL Novice

May 25, 2016
    Because I can't seem to resist joining a new forum every third month; here I is.

Been working with and on computers since about 1980... in a previous life I maintained and repaired automated test benches built around 24-bit mainframe computers with 20MB hard drives. I also had the dubious pleasure of repairing those hard drives, including removing, replacing, and aligning the 18" platters and associated heads.

Needless to say, I am familiar with the CLI in a myriad of forms.

I am currently running Mint 17.3 KDE dual-booted with Win 10 on a Toshiba laptop. I switched to Laptop machines about nine years ago and so haven't built my own desktop machine in quite a while, though I still have a naked motherboard set up as a firewall appliance that I have to pull down and repair.

During my spring-cleaning this year, I get to dust off all the old electronics from the garage/museum and figure out what I should hold onto and what needs to go to the recyclers... I've already sent off a half-dozens cells and a handful of PDAs; I've three or four towers to rummage through and probably recycle, and I'm undecided whether to hold on to my oscilloscopes or not: might be better off selling them and buying a digital scope that will take up much less room on the workbench.

... anyhow, I am obviously more hardware-oriented, than software, though I can usually muddle my way through a piece of code enough to get myself into trouble.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Welcome to MDL!

:hug2:

3. Dngrsone

Dngrsone MDL Novice

May 25, 2016
    Thanks, Tito.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Welcome to MDL :welcome:
    It sounds like you're talking about The 'Hawk' (Control Data 9472H) I've dealt with them many, many years ago. We had them tied to custom built CP/M systems that the engineers built. :)

Anyhoo...enjoy your stay. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Dngrsone

Dngrsone MDL Novice

May 25, 2016
    Thanks, Michaela. Actually, I was working on the Harris H100, with two HP7906 drives...

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Dngrsone

Dngrsone MDL Novice

May 25, 2016
    Hm, yes! Though it was packaged differently... had to thumb in a simple program just to boot using that front panel; though there were times when I had to thumb in larger programs that way to troubleshoot.