Do anyone use tapes for backup ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by markokk888, Sep 19, 2016.

1. markokk888

markokk888 MDL Member

Aug 13, 2012
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Terry1234

Terry1234 MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2016
    Tape storage may seem antiquated in the age of cloud backup and large capacity hard disk drives. So, it begs the question, is using tape as a means of restoring data now obsolete? Despite the internet, e-books and digital tablets, libraries are still an essential part of daily life. And as a mirror to this example, tape storage is still a useful tool in an era where cloud backup has become the de-facto form of storage and digital safekeeping.

4. burnix

burnix MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2011
    I'm not sure that w2k8 doesnt support tape backup. If you install backup role i think it can.
    On my last job we use a DPM 2008 server with 2 LTO6 tape, and it works well.
    Today (on another company) i use an LTO4 tape with backupexec 2012 and it works too.

A best solution was to take a recent computer put 4 disk + openmediavault (the only distrib that dont loose AD connectivity) for backup.

If you had file servers, enable microsoft snapshot (vss) on disk. This is a really cool feature.