Do I really need a new hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by carburetorguy, Dec 17, 2012.

1. carburetorguy

carburetorguy MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello to everyone on MDL. I am a novice at computers. I have a Dell 1545 Inspiron laptop, 4GB memory, 320GB HDD,
    Windows 7 Ultimate with MDL Loader.
    After installing Windows updates on 12/11/12, the computer began having problems starting Windows. The Start Up has
    gotten progressively worse. Now, on Start up, I'm getting a window that reads "Hard Drive Failing, Back up Computer"!
    If I get the computer up and working and use the Hibernate or Sleep modes (even for long periods of time), it proforms like new. It's only on Start Up when the problem occurs.
    Is Windows curupt or can a Hard Drive have a failure only at Start up? :confused:

Thanks!

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Hard drives can fail at any time. The thing is they always fail at the worst possible time.

If your computer is telling you your drive is failing, it's meeting some failure criteria specified by the maker and it would be foolish to disregard the warning.

Hard drives are cheap compared to the hassle of lost data and that entails. You may limp along for months, or longer, but all man made devices eventually fail and your drive's time may be up. It seems to be telling you that.

Diagnostic software is one approach, but I've had HDD makers (Seagate, WD and others) tell me the tests are not 100%.

And as to your data: backup, backup, backup.

4. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Probably the BIOS giving a warning based on SMART.

And if you have a Samsung HDD, it may be a SMART bug. On a Samsung HDD, a SMART attribute may plunge then go back to normal. A SMART attribute plunging low enough causes the BIOS to give a warning.

Heads up, if you have a Samsung HDD, if you reboot a lot, even with a warm reboot, (without power-cycling) the BIOS may randomly complain about the SMART. -> This includes rebooting a lot to tweak the OS.

Seen this occur with a Samsung before. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i just replaced a samsung 4 yr old hdd .. yah no smart errors because mcp6xx chipset didnt support smart logs on this board.

pc runs soo fast customer is super happy.

6. carburetorguy

carburetorguy MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2012
    Hi Miki
    I did do a diagnostic test with Windows and Dell support, then had decided to buy a Hard drive (original hard drive is a Toshiba MK3263GSX) but after trying to back up the computer to a Toshiba 750GB external HDD 5 times with no success, I'm going to reload Windows. I found out Windows can't find
    the Restore program on the computer. I've backed up my important stuff on flash drives and have nothing to lose by reloading Windows.
    Thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my post!!!
    Andy

7. carburetorguy

carburetorguy MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks for replying!

Unfortunately, I am unable to Back up my computer because Windows can't find the Restore Program and wants me to insert the Windows installation
    disk. I've put my important stuff on flash drives and am going to reload Windows 7 Ultimate. The HDD failure is SMART STATUS & THRESHOLD but I can't
    get anything specific about what's failing. I'm hoping it's just a false code and Windows has gotten corupted.

Thank you again for replying!!!!!
    Andy

8. carburetorguy

carburetorguy MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2012
    Hey,

Correct, SMART Status & Threshold. The HDD is a Toshiba MK3263GSX and the OS is Windows 7 Ultimate. I'm unable to back up or restore because Windows can't find the Restore Program. I've put my important files and folders on flash drives and am going to reload Windows before replacing the hard drive. What do I have to lose?
    I truely appreciate your response to my post.

Thank you!!!!
    Andy

9. carburetorguy

carburetorguy MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello and thanks for responding to my post!

The HDD is a Toshiba MK3263GSX 320GB and the warning is failing SMART Status & Threshold. I'm unable to back up the computer because Windows 7 Ultimate can't find the Restore program. Windows wants me to insert the installation disk. I've put my important files on flash drives and am going to reinstall
    Windows. If I need another HDD, what would you recommend?

Thanks again!!!!
    Andy

10. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Over the years I've bought most brands at one time or another and what I've found to be a successful practice is to read what actual users have to say about them. No drive is perfect and all are subject to being lemons. But if a given drive has a good track record with a lot of satisfied user that's what I tend to go with. I'm not brand loyal. The best value with the most satisfied users gets my money.

11. Alex_Koz

Alex_Koz MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2012
    #11 Alex_Koz, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    Hello! You can migrate all data to new HDD (and whole OS of course) using appropriate products such as Norton GHost, Acronis Trueimage etc. You will avoid new windows installation this way. Cheers.