Do not display the lock screen w10 anniversary

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by soretito, Aug 9, 2016.

1. soretito

soretito MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    MS decided we must like the lock screen even when using non touchscreen desktops, cannot be disabled by the registry or gpedit.msc methods.

Anyone knows a workaround? Im running w10pro anniversary 64bits

From the local policy editor:

This policy setting controls whether the lock screen appears for users.

If you enable this policy setting, users that are not required to press CTRL + ALT + DEL before signing in will see their selected tile after locking their PC.

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, users that are not required to press CTRL + ALT + DEL before signing in will see a lock screen after locking their PC. They must dismiss the lock screen using touch, the keyboard, or by dragging it with the mouse.

Note: This setting only applies to Enterprise, Education, and Server SKUs.

2. steelfatboy

steelfatboy MDL Novice

May 14, 2008
    Install Winaero Tweaker. There is an option to disable the lock screen that works with the anniversary edition. It does it by creating a scheduled task that modifies a registry key at logon. I would post links but I am not able to yet.

3. soretito

soretito MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    it worked, thanks! Hopefully MS will solve this nonsense... :D

4. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
  5. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Yep, exactly.
    I automated the task creation procedure to save your time.
    With version 0.6.0.6 it also runs when on battery.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    yeah it is there after reboot :eek:

but it goes away after the first logon lol

7. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Not really. Wait for screensaver and then display will be turned off.
    After that, it will re-appear.
    So Task Scheduler method is actually better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Probably removing the following (or just the *-shell ones) could be a more definitive answer ;)

Not tested yet

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    actually after the screensaver goes off there is no lock screen, just a place for me to enter pin/password and my user pic.

10. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    I also "bumped" into this problem after formatting my laptop to install the Anniversary Edition.

I don't use an account password because it simply boots to desktop in a few seconds (and if the laptop ever gets stolen, a password prevents login and the "burgler" will probably format it, erasing all your data and any laptop tracking program you might have installed) so I don't see the lock screen when it boots up, but I do see it when I suspend/hibernate which is annoying. By the way, deleting/renaming the folder Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy doesn't work. Try it, lock the screen and wait 1 or 2 minutes. Lo and behold, is magically back!

And I must also click on the "Sign in" button after resuming from sleep/hibernation, because the "Don't require a password" option in power options also seems to be gone, which makes it go from zero to 2 clicks in one update! So now my laptop is closer to being a tablet and Micro$oft's plan to subdue us all to their will is one step closer...

The more updates/changes are introduced, more and more known tweaks will probably stop working, which will eventually lead to an Internet full of Windows 10 tips and tricks that don't work. Oh, how I miss the days when I could google for a working tweak by adding "Windows + version" to the search query...

11. White Wizard

White Wizard MDL Junior Member

Jul 3, 2013
    For now, i removed the LockApp app.exe from C:Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy and if i lock the computer it takes me to the login screen, but if a restart the computer the lock screen still shows up. Is that lock screen sort of tide up to the login process?:g:

12. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #16 KNARZ, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Just want to let you know that lockscreen policy query depends on:

Code:
    ContentDeliveryManager-License-ContentDeliveryAllowed

if it's >=3 than policy values won't be queried or ignored.
    (core = 4, pro = 3, enterpise = 2, edu = 1, server 0)

and if i'm right
    Code:
    LogonController.dll
    is responsible.

Edit: some text removed as tested not true. ;)

13. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Don't know when LogonController.dll would be used, but for the regular logon/lock screen only winlogon.exe and Windows.UI.Logon.dll (by LogonUI.exe) seem to be querying the policy value.

The policy value is 0 for LTSB also, btw.

14. glennsamuel32

glennsamuel32 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Thanks @hb860 !!

The solution of creating a task is awesome...works exactly as I want it to :clap::clap:

15. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    or you can run as admin:

takeown /f "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy\LockApp.exe" && ICACLS "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy\LockApp.exe" /grant Administrators:F && ren "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy\LockApp.exe" LockApp.exe.OLD

16. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #20 dobbelina, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016