do registry fixers work

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by dunc1234, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunc1234

dunc1234 MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2010
    i'm most sceptical that registry fix programs make any difference to slow/crashing pc's. i'd e interested to here if anyone has experience of any free or paid that they know have made an actual difference

2. xaudiox

xaudiox MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    #2 xaudiox, Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
    In my experience.. no.
    They are ok for cleaning up the registry as in obsolete software entries etc.
    But as for fixing your computer i would say they dont, actually some do more harm than good.

Remember "Google" is your friend, if you have a problem then google it and i guarantee someone has had the same problem and has an answer for you.

If you must use a reg cleaner then jv16 is as good as they get !! (paid) , If you want a freebee then ccleaner isnt too bad.

3. WhiteZero

WhiteZero MDL Junior Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Registry cleaners are fine. Like CCleaner and AUSLogics.
    But programs that actually claim to "fix" registry errors are probably bunk.

4. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    what the ........ :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. bamamal

bamamal MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2010
    I use RegSeeker from HoverDesk.....It's free and lets' you view and select and you can search for boot up errors that nag you by just writing them down and use search from RegSeeker

8. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    no...i think there's no need to spend money to buy registry fixers or cleaners coz they don't do anything good.If u insist, use Ccleaner or Glary utilities

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I also use regseeker quite an old program and doesn't need installed though i wouldn't use it to clean windows 7 registry but i do use the search feature.

10. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    i used it once.But i am not quite good at registry.After i tried Regseeker, it found over 3000+ registry errors while Ccleaner found just 20+..So, just follow ccleaner coz i'm not that good at registry editing and quite afraid of deleeting something important..HEHe

11. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    ccleaner is just fine, its free and have been using it now for 3 years

12. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    There is no evidence that "Cleaning" the registry boosts performance. This is just a myth propagated by commercial software makers. There are thousands of entries in the registry, removing a few dozen couldnt possibly make any impact. But a tool like CCleaner is handy to get rid of obsolete software entries that may be giving annoying popup messages, I use it in such cases. I would vouch for CCleaner, but "cleaning" the registry with other, more aggressive tools can mess up your current installs.

13. livinginswva

livinginswva MDL Member

Sep 5, 2010
    a couple years ago i had a xp installation that was not running well at all, it almost was as annoying as win98. I ran uniblue registry booster to clean, repair, and defrag the registry, and it came back to nearly the performance of a new installation.

14. Ni3am

Ni3am MDL Novice

May 15, 2010
    Ive gotta agree with venu .. Ive always found registry to be a lil gimmicky, but for obsolete entries ccleaner works well.

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  16. Ni3am

Ni3am MDL Novice

May 15, 2010
    @urie i havent used Jv16 power tools in a long time.. Did they have a reg cleaner called something else or a standalone reg cleaner ? I couldve swore i use to use an older product they made but its been a while! Also i partial agree with you in that on older computers a performance bump might be noticeable but im by no means an expert and i do realize the registry controls alot but my experience with cleaners have been minimial at best in regards to performance. You by chance know of a registry benchmark tool of sorts.. maybe something that may sway my opinion!? :)

Ni3AM

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes Ni3am, macecraft did have regcleaner called RegSupreme Pro

18. Ni3am

Ni3am MDL Novice

May 15, 2010
    Thats what it was called "RegSupreme"!!! Wow that was quite a while ago..