Do retailers suspend keys on lost items (lost on delivery)?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TheSkaffer, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    So I cleaned up the home a bit today and moved around some furniture that had not been moved in a few years. Lots of dust...

Suddenly I see this package from one of the mayor web shops and pick it up. It is my assumed lost order of W7 Pro over a year ago. I never saw it in the mail, reported it as missing and got a replacement sent out. Somehow it got misplaced by a member of my family and all forgotten about. :eek:

Hokay, suddenly I have another legit license. Or do I?
    Do retailers (large ones like Newegg, Amazon and those) keep track of sent out licenses and keys and report them to M$ to suspend them?

2. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    Hopefully..

3. TheSkaffer

May 16, 2010
    Please elaborate...

4. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    I doubt the shopkeepers would go to that extent, for them its just a good, I dont see them having sleepless nights over lost product keys. All retailers account for a certain percent inventory loss anyways, so its all routine for them.

5. Zeratul

Zeratul MDL Junior Member

Jun 20, 2009
    well, they dont open the box with the key do they? so there's no way for them to know what key is sent to whom. so they wouldnt know which key to void.

6. vdl68

vdl68 MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2009
    This forum is getting funny every day with post like that...lol... Oh really you did not recived that package we sent you? Come on.. come back the real word... how will the "web shop" people know the keys or care to know the key? Did you mean wet back?? lol....just playing... hahhah...

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    TheSkaffer, use your brain for a moment, think hard, and only THEN ask such silly question.
    If you are 10 year old then the question is OK, anything more...

sebus

8. vdl68

vdl68 MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Also it's has not been a year Win 7 was released to retail. 22Oct09. lol..... I guess you forgot the date ;)

9. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Pre-ordered copy?

10. TheSkaffer

May 16, 2010
    1. @ vdl68: It was a preorder. Such things exist, you know. Some places launched pre-orders for W7 even in june 2009. Check your facts, ey?
    2. @ others: There are bar codes all over the packages. Those bar codes could relate to a register of shipped licenses.

Anyhow your answers seem to indicate i should not need to be worried about this.
    And since I am so stupid, I could just have checked upon a new setup and try that key vs WU or WGA. You bright guys forgot to suggest that.

11. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    the shop just sells the software ,the key is inside the sealed box and no way for them to know ,you will be ok to register it .

12. vdl68

vdl68 MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2009
    This guy is full of it... Using acronym to sound smart. What does Window Update has to do with you "LOST KEY" lol... also most place to ask the shipper to track the "SO CALL LOST PACKAGE" before they will issue a replacement

13. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
    I don't think they will suspend the Product Key as they DO NOT open the package. But once I order a Software and reported as lost after a month waiting for it and they make a tracking and deny me to resend it, cause they track packages and the system reported as delivered. after a time pass I ask my aunt if she have seen the mail truck, and she tell me that she received the package and forget to tell me. thats the reason maybe i don't believe you sorry! ;)

14. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Its still valid...Certainly if not yet used..

Does it really seem worth all the argument??? I think not...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    You nailed it.

The next step?:
    :closed:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. trolltamer2

trolltamer2 MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2007
    I was going to ask how often you dust/hoover/tidy! so i would of missed the just try it and see option too ;0) lol