Do you disable QoS?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ian82, Mar 12, 2013.

?

Do you disable QoS?

1. Yes

38.5%
  2. No

61.5%
  1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I was reading on the Linksys Forums that most people recommend to disable QoS in the router's settings (I haven't noticed this option exists but I will try when I go home).

Now I usually set the QoS reserved bandwidth in Windows to 0% but what about the QoS Packet Scheduler in my connection properties? Shall I disable it too?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I've QoS disabled in Router at my home and office because there isn't any need for limit connection. Except the computer of my son is connected to an Load Balancer and here QoS is enabled for to limit time of connection, Download etc. to prevent that he spend his whole time on computer.

In the offices from most of our customers, QoS is enabled as well and Internet access is limited in some areas.

It's depend on how the internet is used.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
  4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #4 EFA11, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    QOS (to my knowledge) is only reserving that 20 odd percent of bandwidth when programs are calling for it. If nothing is using QOS, you are using 100% of your bandwidth until something calls it. VoIP, streaming movies etc are some of what uses QOS. More often than not I would guess (in most cases) you are getting your 100% bandwidth and will not notice any changes by disabling it. Go into it expecting little, if anything improves it won't be much IMO.

-ed-
    Something to think about, if you are downloading a large file and want to stream a movie, you may see more "buffering" than normal with QOS off. Again, it all depends on your internet use and what you do really.

5. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    i just unticked QOS using barnes&noble wifi on my laptop, streaming is much smoother for youtube and other video streaming sites

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Yes; but in my routers. I prefer to make a single change that governs all connected computers.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Most of the Routers are quite limited with adjustments for QoS!
    If you administer a huge Network or so, you should use in first line a deeply adjustable Firewall which includes QoS! In my Company and the Companies of some customers, I use Smoothwall installed on an older computer, I use 486 Machines. It's setup as kind Hardware Firewall include Load Balancing and QoS. That machine is located between the Modems (WAN) and the Network (LAN). Depend on how many Internet /Modem connections are available, you'll need for each modem 1 LAN/Ethernet Card in your Firewall machine as WAN ports and 1 LAN/Ethernet Card connected to the Router, which will be connected to your Network, mainly the first Switch.

Anyway, all those is depend on your requirements and what you really like to achieve!

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Exactly ... the router route for me.

10. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I've disabled QoS everywhere and now my internet is snappier

11. compstuff

compstuff MDL Senior Member

Jan 16, 2011
    #11 compstuff, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    PisThai is correct in that most retail routers really do not handle QOS well at all and many actually inject problems when QOS is enabled. Corporate networks are a whole other issue especially when using VoIP. At home I don't use VoIP so I will use QOS to limit the kids access and to make sure MY needs are always prioritized. With that said most of the routers I have tried this with don't work well and are definitely glitchy. In fact I am just about to setup and small Untangle box at home and experiment with the QOS on it.

Regarding the QOS Packet Scheduler I have read many different opinions on this and during my last attempt at researching it I determined to leave it on BUT if you notice a beneficial difference turning it off then its a definitely a good setting for you. I amy experiment myself as well. ;)