Do you install a start menu app for Windows 8/8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Mar 6, 2014.

?

Do you install a 3rd party start menu replacement?

1. Yes, I can't live without the old Start Menu

41.3%
  2. No, I use the OS as it was meant to be

58.8%
  1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    as the title says, do you install a 3rd party start menu replacement or did you simply get used to how the new OS works?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    How to Disable ian82 in MDL :swoon:

3. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    with the old style quicklaunch folder, and most of my apps being portable (use a toolbar folder with shortcuts) I use the start screen very little, but with those apps that aren't portable i just use the new apps view few clicks doesn't bother me.

I had transitioned to this style since xp so i barley used the start menu since then too.

4. nuhkka

nuhkka MDL Member

Aug 7, 2009
    no i don't, i don't see any point in doing so

all metro does is give quicker access to start menu shortcuts

only difference is that it's full screen but i don't really mind

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    can u post an image of ur desktop pls??

6. davehc

davehc MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2008
    I have customised and use the Modern gui as my start menu. - one click into it, a sweep and click to open the program.

7. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Why not simply "Yes or No" to vote for.
    An answer to why they would or wouldn't is up to them.

My answer is No, I use Win-X but I don't use 8 as it was meant to be.

8. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    In the midst of some testing so don't have the quick launch enabled, but here you go

Desktop.jpg

9. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012

lovely, can you give me the link to the full sized wallpaper u have? thanks man

10. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    It doesn't make much difference.

11. Revolve

Revolve MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2013
    I'm used to it now. I still don't think much of it and never use any apps but it's better to keep up with the times than fall behind.

12. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I use the OS as MS designed it. HEY, where's my Kool Aid?

13. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012

Offending ian82,sure won't stop or change his manner of approaching thing. Objective criticism may convince people but satire

is not humanly accepted and would do just the opposite.

14. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Why? By using the keyboard, it is so easy.

Lievre

15. Aemsa

Aemsa MDL Member

Feb 17, 2014
    I didnt, it beats the purpose of the new Windows design, the Start Screen is actually a very good idea, I like it and find it very usefull.

16. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I tried all the start menu things and really didn't like them. I rarely ever see the start screen, when I do its just to launch something. I do not use metro apps either so even more reason not seeing start screen. The right click menu that win8.x has, is more than sufficient for my needs, and it is editable where you can add more to it.

The biggest thing for me was excepting this is a different os and actually knuckling down and using it. If I was still stumbling around the interface for 3 or 4 months I would be back at Win7. Given enough time to get used to it, I am able to move through my daily use of it faster and more efficient than Win7. I need to use Win7 at work, and with all the use I get out of Win8.x, its sometimes frustrating to use Win7

17. Blind_Faith

Blind_Faith MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    It took me a while but I got used to the interface... first on my Iconia double 14 inches touch (8.1 was the clincher here) on my surface RT and now on Server2012 R2.

Why go against the flow

18. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yes, I use StartIsBack, and that IS the way Win 8.x was meant to be, it was MS who made the mistake

19. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Same here, StartIsBack is the best out of the whole lot of Start Menu apps I tried.

1) It doesn't need a service on startup to function (example, Start8 by stardock has a startup service to work)
    2) It doesn't have any lmits on the amount of time you can activate your license on the same PC (Start 8 by stardock will blacklist your license after 3 activations and good luck waiting on them to unblock it)
    3) It is the easiest of the lot to configure
    4) It only costs $2 USD