Do you play any musical instruments?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    A staple thread of discussion forums, but which appears to be absent here, hopefully not because members lack musical skills.

So tell us what musical instrument(s) you play, at what level of skill, what kind of music, whether you belong to a group, etc.

I start off. So I play the guitar since I was a student, and have found that it has enriched my life considerably. Though I also use a plectrum, I prefer playing with my fingers, nails actually, which I believe sounds more sophisticated. For an amateur, I consider my level of skill good, which it damn well should be after all these years. But my repertoire, though expanded over time, still concentrates on light music, such as folk songs and old hits.

Lastly, I mention that I also play the harmonica reasonably well, but find bending (the notes, not the harmonica) difficult.

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I play keyboards.

I have written an album called "Something 4 Everyone". It hasn't been released yet.

The album is eclectic, spanning many genres. With that said, I like many styles of music.

As a listener, I feel you have the right to choose a single genre and stay with that genre.

As a musician, I feel that you must be open minded to all music.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

it will be worth a listen if you dont destroy it with excessive use of a limiter and maxing the gain. depeche modes playing the angel would have been listenable otherwise.

need summat new to listen to, most things are shyte now.

4. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#4 BrianCohen, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    actually the only new things that tickle my fancy are JMJ's Electronica 1 and 2 albums.

and

5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Let's have a sample of your album (not entire tracks, as you intend to publish it) to appreciate your work.

6. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Hopefully soon...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yay, good to know dude, I also play harmonica when I'm kid and second my little friends I play good hehe I don't believe much :p but my dream is play guitar but I'm ass lol :(

8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @MJ waiting :)

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Anyone play the skin flute? :D

10. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Do you mean other than yourself ?

11. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    When I was younger, I played the Meat-Whistle. :D

12. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Tenor saxophone, for seven years. And I can state without fear of contradiction, just as bad on the last day as the first.

13. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    I play a Hohner Harmonica, it helps me through my Clinical depression.

14. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014

You'll know you're really depressed when you start playing the accordion!

15. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Any musical instrument helps against depression.

As for the accordion, it sounds majestic and I'd like to play it. I even made some progress on a borrowed one, but it's really too loud for the block of flats where I live.

16. markste159

markste159 MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2016
    Yes. I have more interested to play music instruments. But I did not yet. :(

17. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    First, try a few different instruments to see if you like any of them. Once you find one that feels right to you, then learn that one.
    You may have to try a few different ones.

18. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    For anybody who wants to start playing musical instruments, the key (no pun intended) is whether you have a musical ear. If you do, you can start on your own by playing simple tunes on an easy instrument, such as a harmonica, mandolin or keyboard (including melodica but not flute, which is fairly difficult). If you don't have musical ear, it's better to join a class, e.g. for the guitar. For ambitious instruments like the violin and piano, you'd need a personal instructor.

19. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Katzenfreund: So true.

Also, if you're tone deaf, then consider playing the drums.

There's relative pitch, which can be learned, and there's perfect pitch, which is a natural talent.

I have perfect pitch, so it's easy for me to play pretty much any instrument.

But it takes more than just learning to play an instrument; To get good (proficient), you have to practice.
    And once you're proficient, then learn how to play with others.

A band is a group of people who learn how to work together to perform a song. No one instrument makes the entire song. It's everybody working together.
    The best bands work together like a precision machine.

And it's a joy to watch. ;)

20. markste159

markste159 MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2016
    Thank you for your Advice Joy. I will try this. :)