Do you remember the conspiracy theories about index.dat?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jaffar, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Yes, this hysteria/paranoia in which we live these days is dating back to the time of Windows XP

http://ask-leo.com/does_indexdat_mean_someone_is_spying_on_me.html

I remember dozens of emails from privacy fanatics warning me of the seriousness of this file and how it is a trojan horse by Microsoft (M$ as they call it) to steal my data and how Windows XP is not a secure OS.

The history repeats itself with every new Windows release.

2. windooooooooows

windooooooooows MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2015
    Do you work for Microsoft?

Are you seriously comparing index.dat to Windows 10 ? Have you even looked at your internet logs? You can literally see the data being sent to Microsoft.

What you call hysteria/paranoia has become reality... Search for Edward Snowden if you've been living under a rock.

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Do you have any other pointless message to share? :D

4. shewolf

shewolf MDL Senior Member

Apr 16, 2015
    #4 shewolf, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Ignorance and lack of information create blind agreement to means which are anti democratic. One becomes responsible for the doom of democracy, imbalance of power and loss of privacy of the people.
    To compare w10 with index.dat is a joke.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. shewolf

Apr 16, 2015

You overdo, win10 doing no more nor less the same and each unix like distro, you know this ?
    But no one unix like distro have not so easy option of turning off this function.

:eek:

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    What do you mean with 'this function'?
    To compare them with w10 and to say that there is no difference requires proof...otherwise your post appears a bit ridiculous.
    Your arguments cannot be right since you generalize 2 things and make a conclusion. Each UNIX like distro and 'this function'....
    No distro has telemetry and a keylogger and no distro phones home using encrypted data to a partner of the NSA (US monopolist)...and no distro has a whitelist of hosts....

8. shewolf

Apr 16, 2015
    #8 shewolf, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    If you say so, but you're on unix or win devices ??

9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Jaffar: Your statement is dangerously incorrect. But please. By all means use Windows 10 without any protection or forethought of protection or your own privacy.

Because sometimes, people such as yourself need to fall victim to the problem before they'll acknowledge that the problem even exists.

In the meantime, please read this post. http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/63733-PLEASE-READ-Microsoft-and-Privacy

:MJ

10. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    it is wisdom..

what remains is a bad hangover from what i too call m$.. i am still scratching my old head
    wondering how a multimillion dollar company plagued with dropdead beautiful marketing women
    could have the bloody nerve to make us all so fed up with them.. :g:

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I think it makes no sense to speak of / differentiate UNIX and windows devices in this aspect.
    We should differentiate from where they come. M$, Apple and Google.

M$=windows NSA cooperation
    Apple = UNIX based OS after the death of Jobs NSA cooperation
    Google= Android crippled and abused Linux with java integration, NSA cooperation

And 'real' distros which do NOT belong to a NSA co-operator/US monopolist (Linux mint, Ubuntu, Enigma2...., own router, VPN, NAS OSes)

I have one windows 7 PC all the rest is UNIX based...and I have Android which is out of the box as bad as windows10 concerning privacy.

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    People here don't understand that the problem isn't the privacy "per se".

After all any non encrypted email could be read by the server hoster since "the stone age".

What's changed here is that once the user used a connection from AOL, the email from Hotmail, the SMS from Vodafone, and so on.

Nowadays the users are using the email from google, the browser from google, the sms sent from a google phone, the backups on a google drive, and so on. (replace google, with Apple or MS, same thing).

That's the problem. It's not just privacy, it's to have ALL your data managed by the same entity.

For the record a a multinational entity that can easily escape from te laws of the single nations, especial if nation != USA.

But 99% of the user will realize it only the day that something like Terminator 1 start to happen.

And I'm afraid that day isn't so far in the future.

13. shewolf

Apr 16, 2015
    You have confirmed what I said, preconfigured Win or Unix if coming from commercial houses doing the same thing, collecting data.
    Story of good and bad cop, both the same.
    There is no public privacy.

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The misunderstanding was due to Android=UNIX distro. But I meant Linux distro= open source based OS which comes actually from a noncommercial source/idea. :)

When you say there is no public privacy you are right per definition.
    But privacy is a matter of trust and transparency. I do not claim anything else as 'they' want to have for themselves (in regard of 'overdoing'....)

Let's say you would be CEO from a company like M$ and you apply the same measures as w10 has. (Encrypted data transfered to your company. Nontransparent measures...)
    Would the NSA or M$ use your OS???? Wouldn't they exactly complain about as I do? Wouldn't they exactly point on privacy as I do?

To give up privacy is a matter of trust and transparency.
    When you keep something for yourself you have most of privacy and no publicity.
    When married for example, you share 'personal' things with your marriage partner, based on trust and transparency, but voluntarily.

I do not trust them US monopolists and I think personal data are abused by them, hence I do not want to share personal things with them. They sell the info, they have capitalistic interests.

Would you trust your marriage partner if (s)he would sell your 'personal' things?
    The same entity means to me here the same intent/goal and that is the greed for money/power disrespecting one's privacy.

15. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: I don't trust them either. And I'm an American.

There has always been a tug-of-war between American ideals and Capitalist agendas. Some would say "That's a good thing".
    But once you lose freedoms, and the ability to feed your family starts to become challenged, Most people realize that the status-quo is not so good.

We have to start making changes before Nature steps in and starts culling the herd.

Nature is beautiful, but She is also ruthless.

And She can not be fooled.

16. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    #16 Jaffar, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    (OP)
    What is about this?
    www.computerworld.com/article/2521809/government-it/nsa-helped-with-windows-7-development.html

Waiting for an explanation from Windows 7 fanbois

17. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  18. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    #18 Jaffar, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    (OP)
    My point is if you don't trust Microsoft then don't use any of its products that can connect to the internet (Windows 95 and above) because the same company who built Windows 10 can put backdoors in any of its products without disclosing them in its privacy statement !

Those who want to stay with Windows 7 because of the belief that there is spyware in Windows 10 are contradicting themselves.

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It depends on what your expectations are. Fact is that w10 has more spy services running than w7. Also w10 has measures which prevent to disable hosts. And when saying w10 is worse than w7 then it is a valid statement which is absolutely not contradictory. As conclusion to prefer w7 over w10 is a valid statement as well.

Not for those who have w7 configured that way that no data are sent to M$..i.e. the company where I work. Working @research and development the responsible admins have to think twice what they use and what are the possibilities to keep corporate privacy...watching and analyzing traffic nothing communicates to M$ there...updates are applied via wsus after analyzing each of them...

But one thing is right no privacy without efforts. This applies to any OS that comes from a US monopolist.
    The actual matter is where can I still be satisfied? The dilemma is the monopolistic situation that requires windows to run windows only apps...those people are no fanboys.

20. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Jaffar: Actually, it's worse than that. Microsoft has recently changed its' Privacy Agreement. They now tell you -exactly- what they are doing, and exactly what they're collecting. And you are forced to accept this if you wish to use the product.

At MDL, we know about this, and some members are researching Windows 10 and documenting what they find.

You can read the discussions here:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/63733-PLEASE-READ-Microsoft-and-Privacy

Also, what Yen said is true. With Windows 7, at least you could uninstall updates that caused problems, shut off suspicious services, and block IP addresses using the HOSTS file.

This is no longer possible with Windows 10 home edition. And there is documented proof of this.

There's no contradiction by staying with Windows 7. It's about safety. I for one need to be sure before I recommend an OS that can compromise a users' privacy.

And if Windows 10 can be fixed, I need to know how. Others depend on Me to tell them the truth and show them how to protect themselves. And that holds true for -every- single person who does tech support work for anyone.