Do you use a Microsoft or Local account to login to Windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Do you use a local or microsoft account to sign in to Windows 8.1?

1. Local

60.0%
  2. Microsoft

40.0%
  1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    What is everyone using? I use a Live Account but I'm wondering if it's better or the system would feel snappier if I used a local account?

That would also allow me to disable UAC

PS: Anyone know of a trick to uninstall eveery metro app including the stubborn Photos Metro app which can no long be uninstalled after the update to 8.1 but was uninstallable in 8?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    MS account

and

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

3. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    My thoughts exactly...

4. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I have both Local & MS accounts but I use the MS account on the Main Rig, the Local accounts are on test rigs.
    SOooo I voted MS account

5. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    I had problem with the store on a local account, so now i use Microsoft account.

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I use a local account. I would not mind using my Microsoft hotmail/outlook account. But does that require entering my password at each restart/sign in. That is what prevents me from signing in from my MS hotmail account.

7. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #7 Aninvitedsoul, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    MS knows all about me.

8. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    Using MS account is as equal as doing suicide every second, when MS account is active on PC..

9. _patrik_

_patrik_ MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    I use my MS Hotmail account on the Windows 8.1 x64 os (legal copy). I think is better for using the Store capabilities.
    For the password request, click with right mouse button on the little start icon in the lower left corner in the desktop, select Run and in the run window right the command: control userpasswords2.

After this is possible to set the account for login without password.

10. elhassan

elhassan MDL Member

Dec 9, 2011
    I like to use Local Account......its the best if you want to enjoy your windows 8.1

11. qaj1shi

qaj1shi MDL Senior Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Local!
    I don't like that we "have to" in some way use Microsoft... I mean, it had to work everything without a Microsoft acc too!

12. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    for people who want to use a local account and NOT enter a password for each time you start your PC

Press CTRL + R to bring up the run dialogue box

Now type: netplwiz

now uncheck the box which says users must enter a password bla bla bla

then click ok, then type in your password twice to confirm and you'll never be prompted to enter a password when restarting only if you manually logout or lock your system

13. eydee

eydee Guest

And what happens if you change your password from another computer?

14. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    then you have to type netplwiz again, enable the password requirement then apply

then reopen netplwiz, disable the password verification then apply, then enter the new password

15. paulks

paulks MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2014
    i use local account.its best for me..i want ms account.

16. eydee

eydee Guest

The point of the question was: Can you login after that? If you can't you obviously can't netplwiz again.

17. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Bah, MS has been watching us longer than the NSA has been watching its own piddle go down the drain for so many years, do you really think it matters if its local or not? If you are that worried about a local vs ms account, use linux for petes sake lol

get one its free

18. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I use my Microsoft account only for my main machine, for everything else, I use local accounts.

19. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I use a Local account. I do absolutely nothing that would require a Microsoft Account for login. Also, it allows me to access my network share far quicker (I use the same local login credentials on my main and server computer; I can just go right into the share folder).

20. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    I once chatted with my friend, if it's a OEM copy then MS just doesn't give a sh*t, because even if the build was not leaked, there must be already tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands) OEM guys installed and played serious or funny tests to this build, just no way for MS to check if the guy login with a MS a/c is a legit OEM people or used a leaked build.

So use whichever login you think is appropriate. :D