Does anybody else here get migraines? I need some help.

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Muerto, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #1 Muerto, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #3 Muerto, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    (OP)

4. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    I don't know if this will help you, but it has helped 100% of the people I've given this advice too. What you need is HYDRALYTE which is an Electrolyte Solution to rehydrate your body.

Have you ever noticed when and if, you've ever presented yourself to hospital for migraine, the first thing they do is hook you up to some fluids with a drip in your arm?

Anyway, forget all the medications and old wives tales - rehydrate your body, continuously everyday for a good few weeks and feel the difference.

You can start with some proper electrolyte solution from the chemist, pre-made, or powder, mixed with water. Sip it slowly so you don't pee it out too soon, though you will find yourself needing the bathroom more frequently, which is normal.

After a while switch to anything like Gatorade or other such drinks that offer a bit of electrolyte solution and drink PLENTY of water in between. It won't take long at all to rehydrate your body, and the migraines will vanish.

The hardest thing is sticking to it and changing behaviour and keeping your body hydrated. Of which I am hopeless at ...

But if you want to be migraine free, electrolyte solution every now and then, topped up with some Gatorade and plenty of water, and migraines will be a thing of the past. 100% guaranteed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I've gotten a couple of migraine's before although not very often. A dark room with an old fashioned hot cup of caffeinated coffee helped me. I admit that I do not get the painful headaches, but my eyesight goes wanky when I do get a migraine

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I am not personally concerned with migraine, but a friend of mine is very....

Have you tried Yoga?
    I do not mean when you have got the migraine seizure already....
    I mean as additional measure to extend the migraine free periods.

Also autogenic training/meditation might help.

The cause of migraine is mostly psychosomatic and then something at the nape cramps before the migraine starts......

At Hatha Yoga (Asana) you learn (with awareness) to tense/relax particular parts of your body.
    At meditation awareness of what is happening within your body now.

With some practice you can become aware of the migraine chain in an earlier state and block it with less medication or even without any…

7. frozendwarf

frozendwarf MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2015
    Are you better now?

To heal a migraine, you have to know what is causing it, but in most cases it's dehydration, lack of sleep, blood pressure or exposure to an air condition.

Try to drink a lot of water, tea or something 'healty' without CO2 for like a week or two to see if you get better.
    Also a few alternatives you can try are like Yen said Yoga, Tai Chi, Qi Gong or some other art of meditation.

I personally smoke medicine and I never had any headaches, so this might work too :dicht:

8. Larvey45

Larvey45 MDL Novice

May 3, 2016
    I was a chronic migraine sufferer where I used botox treatment from med-aesthetics for migraine prevention in Brampton. I was in a thought that botox is only famous for smoothing out wrinkles on the face. But it actually proved for me that it can be used to treat chronic migraine headaches too. I think botox will help you with the trouble.

9. totalbeliever

totalbeliever MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2015
    #9 totalbeliever, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    You should seek some medical advice. That's a serious thing, But you can also try this. I hope it helps.

10. Dngrsone

Dngrsone MDL Novice

May 25, 2016
    I have some sumatriptan in my computer bag for the occasional migraine, but I been lucky lately with few attacks.

My migraines seem to mostly arise from stress, dehydration/sun exposure, or caffeine withdrawal. Yes, I tend to overindulge in caffeine... and though I was once a beach-bum/sun dog, I can no longer spend much time in the sun anymore (at least not in the irrigated desert I currently call home). I have to wear very dark sunglasses outside, or I am sure to get a headache or trigger a migraine.

As for the stress... well, I still have quite a bit of stress, but I have had to teach myself to not care so much about a lot of stuff-- if it can be fixed, then great, I'll try to fix it. But if it is out of my control, then I have to let it go... while it seems plain and simple, in practice, it is not, and there is where the work is, trying to let go of the stress of not being able to change things.

11. aventador

aventador MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2016
    Thanks MJ, I'm shopping for some things today.

12. Tex Arcana

Tex Arcana MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    I've been living with migraines since around 2000 or so. I first thought they were stress-related and due to massive muscle spasms in my head, so I sought relief from a pain-management doctor--boy, what a mistake THAT was!!! 6 rhizotomies later, and the only relief I was getting was from the Dilaudid or morphine sulphate he gave me to deal with the pain, and both of those were losing effectiveness. And when my migraines hit, it was the light/sound/touch hurt-so-much-I-wanted-to-die variety (it felt as if someone was trying to peel my face off, most often one side or another, by grabbing my teeth and yanking).

So I finally did what I SHOULD have done: saw a neurologist. Right off, he prescribed Imitrex/sumatriptan, and explained how the type of pain I was experiencing wasn't from the back of my neck, but from the nerves on the underside of the brain and passing through the sinuses and eye sockets. So we did the obligatory MRI, which found nothing out of the ordinary. The Imitrex did work, however.

Another part of the discusssion was over salt content in our bodies, and his assertion was that the American emphasis on decreasing salt levels is actually causing some of the migraine problems we are seeing.

Now, all this was back around 2010 or so, and I saw the neurologist beginning 2012. Today, I am a truck driver (yes, the 18-wheeler kind), I work flatbeds (meaning I'm outside ALOT, and work very hard, very physical labor), and my stress levels are down to near nil (unless I"m dealing with management or stupid 4-wheelers). I rarely have to take Imitrex at all these days, except on rare occasions, one of which happened a fwe months ago:

I had gone to our terminal in Birmingham, AL; but, before going in, I stopped at the nearest truck stop to eat dinner at Denny's. Usually, I pour enough salt on my food to rival the Dead Sea (not to mention the prodigious amounts of coffee I drink, which I put a pinch of salt in as well), but this night, I was exhausted, and I just didn't feel the desire to salt anything. Well, the next morning, I woke early to a migraine coming on, took some Imitrex (which usually works if I catch it early enough), tried to get back to sleep, but was unable to because of the pain. Well, I got up, went back to the Denny's for breakfast, got my coffee, added a pinch of salt, and while reading the menu I gulped down the mug of coffee in short order, and felt my head beginning to improve; and, as I went thru my salted breakfast and drank more salted coffee, I got to the point where the migraine was pretty much gone, and I was back to normal.

The reason I salt my coffee is that it improves the flavor, especially the junk they serve in truck stops (tho Denny's is pretty good, overall); otherwise, I drink it black. The reason I salt the crap out of everything else is because of the job: hefting 90- and 140-lb tarps, securing loads with straps and chains, the physical labor means I sweat ALOT, and I have to put it all back. I don't drink Gatoraid, because the sweeteners are crap, but I do carry something called "Crazy Water", which is an alkaline mineral water bottled in Mineral Wells, Texas--what I call "nature's Gatoraid", and it does FAR better than any of the manufactured "thirst quenchers". In a pinch, I've also used pink sea salt in plain water.

Anyway, after all that, the simplest solution might be to increase your salt intake some. It's worth a try.

13. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    My mum had bad migraines. She used computers. I get Occular Migraines, its a distortion in the eye, an effect similar to a Predators camoflage, i kid you not.

I would suggest an eye test at an opticians. They can find things a GP/dr wouldnt see, and make recommendations to your doctor. An eye test is never a bad thing anyway. :)

14. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    This thread started well over a year ago, but as the subject is of general interest, I'll contribute my little knowledge.

There are of course always some pharmacies open. There's a number to dial to find out, or the list should be posted on every (closed) pharmacy door.

Medicines are not the optimum solution. I was going to suggest relaxation techniques, but Yen beat me to it. Buy a book on e.g. Transcendental Meditation, which is considered the easiest. There may also be courses in your area, but they can be expensive and you don't really need them. What matters is determination to carry on with it.

15. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    make yoga dude or better all peoples need make yoga :yes:

16. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    :schmorch:

I heard for medical reasons it's the best. It really helps according to current studies.

shhhhh ;)

17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Smoking is bad for you no matter how you look at it.
    Eat a brownie Chef

18. Katinka1

Katinka1 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2016
    I am or was a migraine patient. I started avoiding the "trggers". May it be food or other. Am free of migrains for 5 years now.

19. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #19 CHEF-KOCH, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    I know some TV/Monitor screens also can cause migraine. Maybe check other monitors (flicker-free?). Just an idea. :cool:

20. melted

melted MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
    I'm not sure what country everyone is in so I'm sure not all remedies are available in every area.
    Sumatriptan was mentioned and I've heard that works quite well.
    Aside from that if you search for butalbital + headache you should be able to find a brand or generic combo
    consisting of that + acetaminophen + caffeine. Some formula's swap out the acetaminophen (paracetamol)
    for aspirin. So maybe your doctor would recommend that. There's always off the shelf migraine combo's
    that usually consist of acetaminophen + aspirin + caffeine, the problem with those is they usually only
    suggest taking the recommended dosage once in a 24 hour period. Anyone who has migraines might
    want to just get caffeine pills. If you try those with acetaminophen or aspirin you can usually find a dosage
    that works for you. I can't speak for other people but I can usually feel a migraine coming on. If you can do that
    you can proactively start whatever regiment you use and that helps to get ahead of it. If you have the means,
    do that, drink a lot of water (as others have mentioned) and try to take a nap. Another thing I've found that works
    is a caffeine nap. You can google those. I stumbled on them before I knew anything about it. But honestly they work.