Does anyone miss windows xp?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TesterMachineOS, Apr 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. TesterMachineOS

TesterMachineOS MDL Member

Apr 20, 2021
    Hello, how are you all, I used windows xp a long time ago and what can I tell you, hehe, the solidity and stability of a system as incredible as this one is incredible, hehe, it hurts that Microsoft will remove the support and even if it has the posready 2009 updates, maybe soon if it really is forgotten that nostalgia heheo_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. priene

priene MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2021
    Hi there, windows xp is/was a stable operating system, but unfortunately it doesn't meet today's needs in terms of security, new features, hardware compatibility, etc.

3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I don't miss it, I used it about a year back and it felt waaay outdated and out of place.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. CaptainSpeleo

CaptainSpeleo MDL Addicted

May 24, 2020
    Even though Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit has integrated updates to May 2019 and integrated drivers and extras to March 2021, it's still very outdated.
    Very few up-to-date browsers will install and work in it, and the vast majority of up-to-date security apps and other apps will not install and work in it.
    I use it for testing purposes only, so I'm able to see it get more outdated and more unsecure as time goes by.

5. Mr.lin

Mr.lin MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2021
    I use it on VMware to do some software test and it's a good experience, although the UI is not very pretty

6. rastinder

rastinder MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2018
    na man i have 15 pc and 1 have win 11 one win 7 n rest win 10

7. FreeFeatherFoot

FreeFeatherFoot MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2023
    I remember it somewhat fondly, although I don't miss it. I have the Bliss green hills image as my wallpaper, as well as all the other XP wallpapers. Somebody on Deviantart found the original hi res photos and put together a full pack of every Windows 98, 2000, XP, etc wallpaper in hi res, it's pretty sweet.

Also, for nostalgia:

A

8. Laser Video Tube

Laser Video Tube MDL Novice

May 17, 2021
    #8 Laser Video Tube, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    Of course I miss Windows XP; but unfortunately, Microsoft can't lose its focus on the future!

9. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
    #9 Sajjo, May 5, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
    My opinion (and opinion only :)):
    Windows XP, like Windows 95 formed Microsoft as we know today.
    And who can forget Stan LePard :rip:

00 EuOM807VEAAHyny.jpg

His welcome tune was so...perfect.

That said, I use from time to time software that will not at all work/less stable on newer os's.
    So XP is still in service - as VM :)
    I love it, I use it - and thank you to all participants that made XP available. :hug2:

:)

10. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    My opinion start ---- >

Seriously .

I started with win 95 on a computer that i then updated to win 98 . The update was clear and it made sense . Then the same with XP . It worked and i didnt have to baby sit it .

Everything after that isnt realy an update its a change . Thats the way the whole software and computer industrys operate = Deliberately change things disguised as updates so that the (L)user has to keep ' updateing ' = Spending money .

Maybe a few things have been updated ........ but that could have been done with normal updates ....... KBs or SP 4 / 5 / 6 and so on .

When i look at all the systems from microsoft i see the same basic thing . Like a tree that gets more and more branches and leaves with each version . But its basicly the same ........ but just piled full with s**t ....... s**t to watch us ........ s**t to control us ....... s**t to tell us what we can and cant do ...... s**t to make it look like its been updated . But if you take a look at it with different editing programs ....... like ntlite ....... after takeing the s**t out your left with ....... windows XP ?

Windows 11 is a perfect exanmple ........ it doesnt exist ........ its win 10 in disguise ........ with more restrictions and controls . A criminal fraud to force (L)users to spend cash .

Windows fills all the criteria of malware .

< ---- My opinion end

I'm sick to death of win 10 . I'm seriously thinking of buying an old computer so that i can install win XP ........ and then surfing with that . I have nothing to loose . I dont have any secrets or anything confidential on it or use it for anything other than surfing . If i get problems i can reinstall a back up in at the most 15 minutes .

So why not ?

11. Manchita

Manchita MDL Junior Member

Feb 9, 2020
    I was a late convert (very late) to computers. I never even had any interest in Sega, Super Mario, Nintendo etc etc.
    But in the year 2000 I needed a computer in order to prepare my own English lessons for my foreign students.
    So we got a computer with Win XP. I didn't even know how to play a CD in the contraption, but I used Microsoft Word
    to write and print my lessons. I had that WinXP until 2018 and had picked up the basics of how to use it...at least I stopped
    panicking at every pop-up. lol.
    Then in 2018 I installed Win7 (x64) and by trial and error learned how to do the things that most of the guys on here can do
    in their sleep. I really love Win7 and I'll keep using it as long as possible...but nothing is forever as the saying goes.

12. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
    @case-sensitive
    You are correct, Windows 98 - spesific SE edition was very clear.

But Windows 95 really made Microsoft, and Windows XP was the next thing for consumers.
    Consumers made Microsoft you might say because they simply loved it when it was released, both Windows 95 and Windows XP.

13. haz367

haz367 MDL Addicted

Jan 11, 2020
    I'm from the Millennial age...To say...i'm from that system... :) When i first bought a really expensive computer...Really nice disc btw :)

XP must me awesome to in that time :) As we see today people keeping it alive... :)

So you get evolution, new things, new shells etc..It's normal behaviour...lol lol....

People might say Windows 8.1 is the best one?! Never tested it....Must be the truth for some..It's like a generation thing or just a feeling...hehe :p

In my personal view Windows 7 is a real stable system :) For Windows 10 i root the same except for all the added *** added.

Let's not talk about Windows 11 where they again force you to buy new equipment because all the rest is old...It seems those people all together got a share in each other... :) Minus all the rest...This is kinda sad behaviour to say the least...nvm that as it's normal for those... :)

Thx to all othe (nice) people that knows a computer as they... do...and make it possible to just delete or add line of registry code to allow/disallow it all :)

Minus all the extra added memory that crap needs these days...:) Same for VMware etc....

You are right my friend, but who cares... :)

Really simple discussion, but hey....

:rolleyes:

14. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Evolution as natural developement is one thing ............. commercial evil-ution another .

We get told that things are now better / getting better ........... but i didnt notice . What does better mean ? In my book faster , safer , less expensive , more reliable , easyer to use ............ and even though we get bombarded with adverts and claims by ' experts ' every time theres a new procesor , grafic card , operating system , more RAM ......... i didnt notice anything ........... the only thing i noticed is that things are getting more and more expensive ......... bloated with more and more irelevant cheep and nasty crap that noone needs ......... and microcrap is screwing things / and me down .

I see a buisness model that doesnt seem to make sense to me .......... as far as buisness is concerned ........... the only ' sense ' i can see is .......... getting people adicted , takeing over peoples lives , stearing them , controling them , telling them what to do and how to do it ...... and watching them do it .

15. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    for playing older games is still pretty awesome i do miss it sometimes ;)

16. HotCakeX

HotCakeX MDL Novice

May 7, 2023
    I never used it but from what I've seen, newer versions of software always have cool and modern features that make me not miss the older versions.
    Right now even Windows 10 feels super old for me.

17. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Of topic -
    The world evolves, humans, hardware, software... Of course it will be commercial as well.
    It's part of - well basically the free world and mind
    What you'r addressing started with (and way before) Google, Facebook etc... - Internet. Before that we had television and newspapers...

If you want status quo - can't have it!
    Unless you want a more dictatorial ruling/state.

18. ibay770

ibay770 MDL Member

Oct 9, 2015
    If your computer bios supports CSM, you can install an integral version of xp from the Internet archive, it's loaded with drivers and stuff to run on modern hardware.

19. user469

user469 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I' ve started on retro/vintage TRS80 dos and CP/M then MS Xenix (yes Microsoft before it was sold to SCO) and after Intel 8086 from msdos 2.1 until last windows now.
    I can rembember windows 3.1 not too much 95 but a lot 98 and XP that i still love and try to use on new hardware pc. Much liked and i still use for dirty job windows 7.
    After for me there are a bunch of stupid windows os used mainly for work to be rule compliance
    Apart pc hardware from TTL and Z80 also modem/router/isdn/storage and so on.

20. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

Like 4/5/6 mouse clicks to see your IP address over the 2 needed in XP and 1 in Win9x? :D