Does anyone still use the Windows xp now?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Polyester, Sep 4, 2014.

1. maddogster

maddogster MDL Senior Member

Mar 23, 2015
    microsoft put out 2 security updates for xp on aug 2, 2016 which is very surprising for the general use unlike just for paid xp support :)

2. Hixster

Hixster MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2016
    :eek: 2 updates for XP put out this August 2nd??? Were those updates only for the 64 bit version?
    Have an elderly lady who I just put Avast, Malwarebytes, Firefox on.. She had 32 bit XPsp3, used google to look at houses , play solitaire..

3. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    I had a customer who really wanted XP on their machine, even against our advise.
    So I had to dirty my hands to....install XP Home on a Dell Optiplex Intel Dual-Core 4GB RAM (with a Windows 7 code).

The cringe was bad.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hixster

Hixster MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2016
    Received a call today about a PC that wasn't responding. OS was XP home edition. After forcing a shut down, then restarting, thinking about this thread... Thought maybe WU is hanging.. Checked for any new available updates. Microsoft installed 9 updates to that old sucker! Just out of the goodness of their hearts, MS reactivated updates for XP home & for office 2007...:biggrin:

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Maybe now that the w10 free offer has ended they realized that some users will never upgrade, and that was worth providing them the updates that MS is still building because Posready 2009

6. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Windows XP inside a virtual box. I use it for the few games that I still love which are incompatible with Windows 10. Black and White for example.

7. Hixster

Hixster MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2016
    I do not have the high level of knowledge/expertise which most members here seem to have. Possessing a limited understanding of many words/terms used in post makes Google my friend ;) "Posready" was one such term. I believe I get the idea though...
    My interpretation of your post; MS wants to derive benefit from users that won't or can't upgrade.
    After updating that XP home OS, I did notice a couple of Win10 embedded features(?) offered as "optional updates".
    Several features such as Skype, Silverlight, etc were offered as "optional updates" upon updating.

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    My post is not a news, is an opinion.

Simply I think that MS can't afford the bad arvertizing cming from a bunch of XP machines that suddenly becomes plenty of malware (and starts to spread malware everywhere) given the number of the working XP machines is still relatively high even after on year of W10 "free" offer.

Posready is just an XP version released in 2009 and includes all the updates released until then, and is supported until 2019.

read back and you will find a simple reg value that enables such updates in any XP machine, at least the x32 ones

That's all

9. dudeluv

dudeluv MDL Senior Member

Aug 7, 2012
    I still have Windows ME "Millennium" on an old PC hooked up to a CRT monitor. I turn it on every now and then :eek:

10. john123x

john123x MDL Member

Jun 5, 2011
    I still did, my house pc of 5 years old which is still running is still using XP.

I migrate to win7 next when my dear desktop breaks down in the future.

11. Mizoguchi

Mizoguchi MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2016
    I kept using XP on my main setup till the end of the official support by MS and that was pretty much about the same time when several programmers gave up support for XP in the their third-party apps too. Anyway I acquired a new PC which no longer supported XP. Now XP found shelter in a dual-boot (Linux/Windows) auxiliary setup, arranged from older bits and pieces, with a first-gen Intel C2d at its core. I tried Win7 but XP still runs more smoothly on this older hardware...

12. Runs[with]Scissors

Runs[with]Scissors MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2016
    I dual boot to XP when I have those irritating Win7 folders with 32 hexadecimal names that I am not allowed to delete. XP gets rid of them. (And yes, I have backups in case I really did need those folders. But so far, no problems)

13. DogbertCommandsYou

DogbertCommandsYou MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2016
    I have two swappable drives with XP, one x86 and one x64. I update them about once a month. Windows 7 Professional is my daily use OS.

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    wow yep, I have one old P4 with mobo MSI 7211 running like a charm it is one big friend when I need for some reason :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Im seriously considering going back to xp 32bit :tasty:

16. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I work at a software company and there's an electronics guy who fixes handheld devices when customers them. He's using XP.

17. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Personally, I don't use XP. But I can see where it would be useful if you have 32 bit hardware. Not to mention that some software (and hardware) just won't run on a 64 bit version of Windows.

@Stannieman: I've seen the same thing here.