Does changing HDD size causes system to freezing?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by carmz, Mar 23, 2014.

1. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi, I need you help please...Before the size of my hdd is 500gb then i replaced it now 1TB seagate baracuda...after i install the windows 7 O.S I observe that my P.C will keep freezing sometimes it will takes time to boot...I remeber also when i do my first time windows update my P.C turns to blue screen...I already return the hard drive to the store where i bought this,and they replace me a new one.but again same scenario and result i don't know why,probably it's because i extend the size of my HDD to 1TB?

THis is my p.c specs.

ASUS M3N78-VM
    AMD PROCESSOR 2.7GHZ AM2 SOCKET
    2 GB RAM DDR2
    1TB SEAGATE BARACUD(THIS IS MY NEW HDD)

please help me.

Thank you in advance

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Did you already perform a RAM test?
    Also try using your old HDD to replicate freezing.

3. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011

No,i did not tried RAM test,because i don't know how to use the hirens which option should i choose in the hirens to perform RAM test...my old HDD is already dead because i heard some clicking sound on the hdd that's why i bought a new HDD and i choose to 1TB...I don't know if this RAM issue,because i can still install the O.S windows7 but all of the sudden after i update and install some program it started to freeze sometime it will perform chckdsk and i saw that when it perform chckdsk it will say deleting file ..etc..replacing file etc....after that it will go to my desctop but when i click the start up,it will freeze..then again i reformat again but still came up with same issue...I don't know whats wrong...is there anything else to configure in the bios if we have a new HDD installed ?

Thank you in advance.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Do you install drivers?

5. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    No,I did not install anymore the drivers of my p.c because when i look at in the device manager only the audiodriver has yellow tag...by the way i tried it right now to reformat I always stuck after the windows loading files...

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    You need to test RAM. Boot Hiren's CD then move with arrows keys and select memtest 4.20. Let it run until indicates Pass: 1
    I assume you got Win7 iso right here in MDL, right?

7. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi Mister X, I have another problem now I heard again clicking sound in my HDD,I need to get back to store again...can they still replace my HDD?it is still cover in my warranty this it the second time that they will replace.by the way is my O.S will install if i have defective RAM?

Thank you in advance.

8. manu198045

manu198045 MDL Member

Aug 24, 2010

Dear carmz,

The clicking sound you are getting is something to do with power supply (SMPS) change your sata power socket any other that is available in your system. Once windows boots the HDD is not getting enough power due to cable failure or component failure in SMPS. First test with another SATA power socket available in the SMPS. If it still remains with all available sata sockets then the problem is with SMPS(PSU).:D

Regards

Manu

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #9 Mr.X, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    I don't know your provider's warranty policies, but I believe they should replace it any times as necessary. Now, if you have a defective RAM sometimes it allows to install OS, however, in other scenarios don't. That's why you should test RAM. Google on how to use memtest program on Hiren's Boot CD.
    On the other hand what manu198045 says is likely to happen due to the fact this is the second time you would change your HDD. Besides, I recommend to do a thorough cleaning of your PC.

10. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    How do i know after memtest that my RAM is defective?

11. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Um..., error messages like "bad ram" from the memtest maybe?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    After memtest complete pass no errors...I think it is my hdd

13. manu198045

manu198045 MDL Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Dear carmz,

As Mister X suggested, I do recommend a thorough cleaning of your PC. Once you change or remove or move the parts inside a PC you likely to get some issues what you are facing. I also suggest you to clean the gold contact of your RAM using a pencil eraser. It will cleans the dust as well as oxides on the gold contact which will stop the RAM to connect properly.

I hope the above will help you to bring back to your system in normal state.:)

Regards

Manu

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    No, it's unlikely a defective new HDD two times in a row, but not impossible.
    Do your PC cleaning then re-install software again an see.

15. Al_Gore_Internet_Inventor

Mar 18, 2014
    I doubt it is a power supply problem. A larger drive doesn't necessarily mean more power is required. And actually, a newer, larger drive may have a lower power requirement than an older drive, due to improvements in drive technology.

Try running "sfc /scannow".

I can't post links, but there is a program called BlueScreenView to help analyze dump files.

16. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    The drive is brand new and of course a PSU issue is plausible. I guess we should stop speculating and he must begin with the easier and logical tests / procedures in the first place in order to isolate the cause. :D
    Me and another mate did a recommendation so after he reports back and the problems still then we can start to brainstorming again.

17. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    Nevertheless, the sfc /scannow recommendation is good :good3:. That might exclude Windows being faulty (or even not :D).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Mate, do you really believe a sfc /scannow is needed in this case? The poor guy can't even install Windows 7 in the first place...:eek:
    Moreover, according to his own perception, hearing weird clicking sounds...

19. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    #19 s1ave77, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    No degree in rocket science needed to do so, only a helping hand (they have been already offered) :D.

In a case like this i would start excluding software errors then proceed testing the hardware. He has not that much to loose trying this first, before 'messing' with the hardware.

In case the old HDD had bad sectors, Windows files could be affected by this :g:.

20. Al_Gore_Internet_Inventor

Mar 18, 2014
    OP states: "after i install the windows 7 O.S I observe that my P.C will keep freezing sometimes it will takes time to boot" - that was why I suggested the SFC command.

And I should amend my hard drive power requirements statement to "drives of the same RPM", as a 10,000 RPM drive will certainly require more than one of 5400 RPM.