Does Linux damage your PC hardware?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by winmaniac, Dec 5, 2015.

1. winmaniac

winmaniac MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    A few years ago I installed Linux Mint and later openSuse for a few times on my PC, dual booting with Win 7. I regret to inform you that these installations once damaged the motherboard and twice the graphic cards. So now when I think about dual booting my PC with a Linux distro it worries me. May be the Linux distros need optimizations like producing less heat or some other. If thats the case kindly inform me. Otherwise I would rather install SteamOS instead of the regular distros. At least SteamOS would be more optimized and refined than the other distros.:g:

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    No, Linux did not damage your hardware

3. winmaniac

winmaniac MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015

How? I have never had any hardware problems using Windows. The mentioned problems only occured during the times I installed the above mentioned Linux distros. :confused:

4. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    For all practical purposes , it is impossible for any software to physically damage hardware .

The only ( extreme ) case I could imagine is if you ran stress-testing routines , 24/7 , in which case you may
    see acute overheating.

It would be like " the wrong sort of thinking " putting you in the ER with physical injuries ..... it's never going to happen !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Meat[On]A[Stick] MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2015
    And too many people die in the hospital - better avoid those as well.

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  8. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    I have used Windows for about 25 years. Now most of those PC's are dead. :D Especially the PCs from 1990, 1996 and 2003. :eek: Windows killed them all.

So that's why I now use Linux. :biggrin:

9. winmaniac

winmaniac MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    First I wish to clarify that I am serious in what I posted above and I didn't post this just to make fun of you i.e it's not a troll. As all of you think that Linux doesn't damage PC hardware I have no option but to agree with you. May be whatever happened to my PC hardware was a coincident. Anyway there must be utilities and methods to measure system temperature and to control and optimize it for Linux. If you could give me some information for that I would appreciate that.:)

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  11. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    get psensor and you get some kind of aida64 tool

12. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @winmaniac: It's possible that there might have been a weird combination of hardware / software that may have fried your MoBo.
    You might have had a spike on the AC line which caused a component to fail. Or possibly a thermal problem which may have occurred simply because it was time.

Do You remember the make and model of the computer / MoBo that failed? That would help everyone here to look around and research it further.

13. November_Zulu

November_Zulu MDL Junior Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Linuxed raped me, made me pregnant and now denies paternity.

14. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #14 John Sutherland, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  15. winmaniac

winmaniac MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    It was 5 or 6 years ago. I had two Pentium 4 desktops. Both had Nvidia 5200 graphic cards and the motherboards were intel. Don't remember the model no. o_O

16. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
  17. netlords

netlords MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2012
    I wouldn't agree with that. Software controls Hardware.
    For example you can overclock a CPU or GPU until its broken.
    Or you can adjust the Frequency of an Monitor until....

IMHO years ago there was an virus which destroyed the computer bios.

But I fully agree to MrMagic

18. XxBrazilianoxX

XxBrazilianoxX MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I have some graphics issues after trying some linux distros over the past 2 weeks that even after I wiped my linux drive, I'm still experencing it.
    GTX 770 and AMD 990FX board. (Blurry text, pixelized text)

I will check if it's maybe a monitor issue that just happened at the same time.

Will report back!

19. shrinivas

shrinivas MDL Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Once I tried to install Arch Linux in my Desktop PC, the most geeky (or the dumbest, it is your choice), I couldn't install fan-controllers. The result was that all the fans were spinning and created so much noise ! Luckily nothing was damaged ! I do believe that software can damage hardware.
    Regards

20. skunkos

skunkos MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2015
    Well, any modern hardware should have (and usually has) protection circuits and internal firmware, which protects HW against out-of-bounds settings. Software should never EVER brake hardware (not including bugs in SW which make plane crash).

It probably just erased BIOS from EEPROM, did not it?