Does MSE phone home after installation?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by GRDaddy, Feb 26, 2010.

1. GRDaddy

GRDaddy MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2010
    I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials on my Build 7600. It installed without a hitch a few months ago. I'm wonder if it ever phones home to check validation.

The computer has been fine for a few months now. This morning, I received notification of non-genuine windows. But I'm not sure how. I didn't install any of the new updates as far as I know.

I ran Daz Loader again, restarted twice, and everything went away.

Anyone else?

2. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I also use MSE and I don't think it has anything to do with the WAT updates.

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    In the Microsoft SpyNet section under MSE's Settings tab, there is the following "option" to which you must agree:

"Send basic information to Microsoft about software that Microsoft Security Essentials detects, including where the software came from, the actions that you apply or that Microsoft Security Essentials applies automatically, and whether the actions were successful."

Microsoft probably uses the information to keep its databases updated.

4. sb18180

sb18180 MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    microsoft whant to know everything you do on YOUR pc.after reading the above just binned mse and gone back to free avg,at least they dont snoop like microsoft!

5. DJxSpeedy

DJxSpeedy MDL Senior Member

Jan 7, 2008
    change this and it dosnt send infos

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\SpyNet]
    "SpyNetReporting"=dword:00000000

6. BDX

BDX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    And you are sure that AVG doesn't send anything. Get rid of your tin foil hat or change to Linux.

7. Tlinux

Tlinux MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Have you gone over every line of the Linux source, are you sure it doesn't also call someone ;)

8. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    It doesn't matter - Linux Distro makers don't sue or threaten everyone else like M$ does.

Remember the Lindows incident where M$ just kept taking the Lindows Distro to court (and losing everytime) because they didn't like the name Lindows - too much like Windows apparently.

They get away with this because they have so much money they can afford to break smaller companies and bully them into submission.

Not the kind of future I want to see but M$ continue to get away with this crap.

My advice - don't install software that spys on you including MSE and the new WAT update (although this may become a part of SP1)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. straha

straha MDL Junior Member

Oct 15, 2009
    So let me get this straight...you don't care if the software phones home, just so long as it's not phoning home to Microsoft? If Microsoft stopped suing and threatening, you would not mind then?

10. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    "According to Aaron Hulett | Microsoft Malware Protection Center “if you disable SpyNet, you’ll also disable Dynamic Signature Service” Re: Microsoft confirms Security Essentials to be released 9/29 – dslreports.com.

Dynamic Signature Service is a mechanism used by Security Essentials to query a designated server for signatures when it detects an unknown program. If it finds the signatures match a known malware, it downloads the signatures and removes the offender. On the other hand if the offending programs’ signature appears new, then the DSS may request a sample code from the client machine to create new signatures.

To put it in simple terms, this means that if you decide to opt-out of the Microsoft Spynet, Dynamic Signature Service will also be disabled and you will not be protected against the emerging threats."

Howzzat?:eek:

11. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I fully trust Microsoft with all my heart. I don't care if MSE sends report about detected malwares to its database. But I can assure you that MSE has nothing to do with the WAT update. Personally I have MSE and the WAT update installed and my system is still genuine. I recommend everyone to install MSE because it's currently the best antivirus for Windows 7.

12. Georgio

Georgio MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    When I was using MSE I noticed that it leaves a lot of s**te in the %temp% folder that builds up unless you remove it manually. This doesn't change even after you uninstall MSE.

13. Micro

Micro MDL Member

Apr 26, 2009
    And what that means in plain English -

1) If you allow SpyNet Reporting to send a signature back, AND it is a recognized bit of malware AND your MSE has has not been allowed to update automaticly, then it downloads the signatures and removes the offender.

2) If you allow SpyNet Reporting to send a signature back, and it is a NOT recognized bit of malware, MSE will retreive a sample of code from your machine to create new signatures.
    The new signatures will be downloaded to your machine to remove the malware AND the new signatures will then be included in the daily MSE updates.

So, basicly if you plan on being the first in the world to contract a new malware, you need to leave SpyNet Reporting turned on.
    But if you use reasonable care, any new malware reported to SpyNet today, will be included in tomorrows update.

Your call ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. whitepage

whitepage MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2010
    The latest AV Comparatives results show that, while MSE is very fast and efficient, especially for being free, there are other near equally good alternatives like Avast, which also has a free version. If you are so worried about it calling home and reporting you for not being genuine, which will force you back on here to whine for the newest loaders and removeWATs, created by others at the expense of their own time, then why not just switch to a non-microsoft AV. Unless of course you find the need to rub microsoft's face in their own s**t by not only cracking their OS but also their AV without a truly legitimate reason. Not that I endorse microsoft or bash cracking at all, as dual boot with linux for most tasks and also like most here, enjoy free things.