Does my motherboard support USB Boot? Asus P5Q3

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Legjendat, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Legjendat

Legjendat MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2011
    So, anybody knows if it supports booting from a USB?

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Most anything made in the past few years does. Did you (a) look in bios settings or (b) read the manual for the board?

We are glad to help here but please don't be lazy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Legjendat

Legjendat MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2011
    tbh, it's not about laziness, but I wouldn't know where to find if it's true or not in the manual, while in the bios settings I haven't found anything related to USB booting, which has made me think it actually doesn't support USB booting, so I decided to ask here wondering if some1 might know as I've seen users with some great knowledge here. Anyway thanks for your response.

4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    ok, I have a different ASUS board but it's probably similar. In bios make sure "USB legacy support" is enabled and try pressing F8 during boot when you see the logo or banner, or whatever key lets you choose boot options. There should also be a section in bios for "boot order" and USB would be one of those if it is supported.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Legjendat

Legjendat MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2011
    After changing legacy to enabled, I would have to change another thing, on "Hard Disk Drives", I had to make the USB drive the first choice and my actual HDD the second choice, so thanks for the tip, it's confirmed now that I can boot from USB, you have been a great help! Thanks again!