Does printer ink vanish with time?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Super Spartan, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    I have an HP Photosmart B010 Printer.

I install 4 new ink cartridges, barely print 4 or 6 documents and leave it aside for when I need it. After about 2 months or so, I try to print another document and the document comes out almost white or pale in color.

I check the ink and it only has 10%

This is the 3rd time this has happened so what I want to know, are all printers like this or do I have a bad printer?

I bought it cheap for $100 USD about 2 years ago.

If I invest in a laser printer, do they also have this problem where if you don't use it much the ink dries? or can I set it and forget it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    The entire business model around inkjet printers is very similar to razor blades. Get the customer hooked with a cheap-ass printer, bleed them forever on ink.

The ink in these cartridges is liquid and will evaporate.

Laser printers have a whole other set of problems, but evaporation of the ink (it's powder to begin with) is not one of them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LeoNeeson

LeoNeeson MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2014
    I hate ink cartridges me too. I doesn't matter if you print ten pages or 100 pages monthly, the ink evaporates and you waste ink and money.

I would like to know just one common problem of laser printers. Just out curiosity...

4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Print some pages on a laser. Then put them in a binder or inside those clear plastic protectors. Come back in a year or two and find that the ink has stuck to the plastic.

5. LeoNeeson

LeoNeeson MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2014
    Oh yes Myrrh, I've seen that!, that's too bad... I never thought it was a common problem with all laser printers. I always thought it was because the bad quality of some toners. Well, at least for printing just a few pages per month, having a ink printer is worst. I'm planning to buy a laser printer soon. So, now I know to never put the printings on plastic protectors. Thanks for the tip.