Does restore from system image work 7Loader?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by benenglish, Oct 25, 2009.

1. benenglish

benenglish MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    Hi folks .. I activated via 7loader 1.6 or around that version (very old PC so couldn't hack BIOS) and have just done a system image backup in Win7 RTM (Ultimate).

My question is this : if the system does break .. will I still be (a) able to recover if I boot on a clean RTM disk and recover okay? ... and (b) will I still be activated after the complete image restore?

I would have assumed so .. but just wanted to check!

Many Thanks :)

2. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    yes it will

3. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    If you recover from the Windisk, then the MBR will be overwritten with the Windows default one. Ergo the activation will be gone and has to be redone.

If you restore an image, and the MBR on the HDD still contains the loader info, then everything will be fine.

If you restore an image, and the MBR on the HDD does not contain the loader info anymore, but the backup soft restores it, then everything will be fine.

If you restore an image, and the MBR on the HDD does not contain the loader info anymore, and the backup soft does not restore it either, then the activation will be gone and has to be redone.

These are the 4 possible scenarios, hope it helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. benenglish

benenglish MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    Many Thanks

I guess the most important thing is that I can recover -- with or without activation. This could always be applied later :eek:)

Cheers