Does this option clean all drives?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MrMagic, Mar 25, 2017.

1. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    When a program zeroes a disk, it wipes everything. And I mean to say every partition, every single bit of data, everything...

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Wipe Drive overwrites all data on selected drive, it means all partitions. Wipe Partition removes only one partition.
    If there is several drives, must wipe all one by one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    This is Win 10's own reset function, so I guess my data is safe then, gone from spying eyes of the next owner :D

Wasn't sure if it would ignore other partitions or not

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Rest assured no one will recover your data. It needs special labs, environment and procedures from skilled personnel. Even so, it is unlikely to recover data after wiping a disk, besides I don't believe you are subject of interest to be targeted...:D

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    :D Recovering the data was not my concern, I just had a bad feeling for a minute that choosing that reset option might only clean C: partition, not any others, so imagined the next owner to open D: and see my product keys etc

So long as that option cleans all partitions, I'm happy :)

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I've been using File Shredder for several years now since it has an option to zero the empty space on attached drives; it appears to do a good job. Ccleaner has a similar function but I haven't tried it.

"Remove Files and Clean the Drive" sounds like it zeros everything prior to trashing or reusing a drive.

8. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Win10_Reset_2.jpg

If you have only one physical drive then all partitions on it will be wiped if you select Remove files and clean the drive. However, if you have multiple drives then you need to explicitly select whether to wipe all of them or only the one with Windows on it:

Win10_Reset_1.jpg

Since it was a tablet, selecting Remove files and clean the drive would have been sufficient to wipe all the partitions (not just C:) on the single drive inside.