Does WHS require more than one drive?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ThEcOrUpTeD, Apr 17, 2010.

1. ThEcOrUpTeD

ThEcOrUpTeD MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2010
    I've currently got in my possession a semi-old 160Gb ATA Drive. I "obtained" WHS premium, and following one of the guides on this forum, I was able to activate it with no problem. However, every time I open the dashboard, navigate to adding server folder, and when I try to add one it crashes. So I decided to check tab that comes before that, which shows all your hard-drives. I see my 160Gb under I believe unused or a synonym of that term. When I try to add the hard drive to Server Storage, it asks me to format it, while the OS is running from the same hard drive. I was wondering if WHS premium required more than one hard drive to function correctly, or is this because I installed a removeWAT, then uninstalld it, before using loader extreme v3.

Thanks for any help. :D

2. kaffra

kaffra MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2010
    whs can run with just one drive, but if you require the file duplication feature then it requires minimum 2 drives.
    usually whs will create a 20gb partition for itself, then the remainder for shares

3. ThEcOrUpTeD

ThEcOrUpTeD MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2010
    Thanks for the reply! I just re-installed the server os, and i think this is the part that F*ks it all up. Under Disk Managment i see my hard drive split in two partitions. One is C:, and the other one is "DE DISK"(FAT32). Then in "Computer" i see that theres the system drive, and each of them is the same size.I was wondering if I should re-format the DE DISK to NTFS, or just leave it as is. Also how DO you turn off Duplication. My current "DE DISK" is around 89 gigs, and the storage folders are only 64 gigs :eek:. Should I leave it as is or what should I do.

Thanks!

4. troels

troels MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    You should not reformat. And you are supposed to access WHS through the Console, direct access is not supported, i.e. what you cannot do in the Console you do on your own risk. Anyway, that's your call - but use the Console (shared folders) to turn off duplication.