Does Windows 10 Pro for Workstations have better performance than Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Super Spartan, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    In terms of gaming performance and whatnot, I took a look at the differences between the two and they are very similar but the reason I'm asking is, since Windows 10 Enterprise (which is what I am using now) has extra security features like AppGuard and whatnot, does that impede performance making Pro for Workstation the better choice for gamers?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. no1special

no1special MDL Junior Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Those security features are easily disabled through Local Group Policy. You can import/export these settings through command line with Microsoft's LGPO.exe tool if you want to backup/restore your settings.

3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    The "for Workstation" flavor would probably be overkill if you don't have the necessary number of cores or memory chips to require it over the "plain old" Pro.

Enterprise is more efficient in at least one way, that it doesn't automatically install things and advertise at you on the start menu.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Right, so I guess I'm better off staying Enterprise heh since I'm on a laptop so no multiple CPUs for me.

5. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    With that PC a clean Windows 10 is just background noise, what edition you run won't influence your gaming. If Enterprise runs VBS by default (Application Guard result in that if enabled), you'll take a rather annoying performance hit, but it's more of a benchmark thing, not noticeable in games - at least not on my 8700K PC with just 16GB of RAM. You have to run a lot of stuff in the background and have a "dirty" install of Windows 10 with apps that don't play nice to have your games impacted., especially with 16 threads and 128 GB of RAM. In fact, with that much RAM, you can make a large RAM disk and install most games on it outside a very few huge games. Or you could maybe try and add some DRAM as a cache for the SSDs/HDDs? There was an app names primocahce something something, and Magician should be able to do it for the Samsung SSD, although you can't configure it at all.

Anyway, quite a few possibilities with 128GB of RAM that should result in flawless gaming.

6. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Thanks man, I do actually have a license for PrimoCache.

If I continue using Enterprise, does disabling Windows Defender Application do the trick to not have anything impede my performance/benchmarks? or is there any other things I must disable to make Enterprise perform just as good as Pro. I do like the fact that in Enterprise I can disable Telemetry from the Group Policy Editor which is not supported by other editions.

7. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
  8. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Pro for Workstation is a bit to expensive for gaming, Pro will do it since it contains the app store " Xbox app" also. About performance, guess it is not worth considering's.
    About Windows 10 Enterprise, guess it was designed for business.